Fly Fusion Forums

3Wt Setup Question

Fishslayer74

So after 3yrs of fly fishing I'm now wanting to finesse my skills a little more with the dry. I've been using a 5wt setup for most of my days out dry fly fishing but there are some rivers and streams that I'd like to start using a 3wt. I was recently out on the Livingston and my buddy was using his 3wt and it was just perfect. So I guess my question is what is a decent setup to get into without breaking the bank and I do know that the rod is definitely the more important part of the mix. Reels on 5wt and lower aren't as important. So any input on a rod, reel and line would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually going to NS tonight and I'm going to borrow a buddy 3wt setup till I can find what will suit me.

Cheers.

I just picked up a Pieroway Element 2wt 7'3 and I love it. They also have an Element 3wt 8'6 that I checked out in the shop that looks sweet! Personally I would highly recommend the 2wt for just over $200 its a great stick and makes for lots of fun on small streams. Even on windy days it holds up great and I've even thrown some decent streamers with it!

Heya FlyFishingEMT,

I've actually been up to Jeff's shop here in town and was actually thinking of that rod plus if something was to ever happen to it then I can take it in to get it fixed and not worrying about shipping it off.

Cheers, and thanks for the input.

Heya FlyFishingEMT,

I've actually been up to Jeff's shop here in town and was actually thinking of that rod plus if something was to ever happen to it then I can take it in to get it fixed and not worrying about shipping it off.

Cheers, and thanks for the input.

I have a five of his rods now. Its really nice dealing locally so you don't have to wait for 6 weeks to get warrantee issues resolved and its much cheaper. If you are like me and like to fish streamers with a 2wt this is especially important.

My goto set up for the Liv and the smaller streams is a 3wt Winston IIIx with a small Galvan. Good for cutties and even landed a couple 20 in bullies that took a dry with it. I was amaze when I saw EMT hook a fish using a streamer on his 2wt.

-Garry-

x 2!

My goto set up for the Liv and the smaller streams is a 3wt Winston IIIx with a small Galvan. Good for cutties and even landed a couple 20 in bullies that took a dry with it. I was amaze when I saw EMT hook a fish using a streamer on his 2wt.

-Garry-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I have been using a Loop Greyline 3 wt. 9 ft. With loop reel, I have landed some very nice cuts, and some 3-4 lb. bulls, very happy with the setup.have also used a Winston B IIIx 2 wt, on cuts, and bulls 3-4 lbs. both great rods.

• Like 1

I have been using a Loop Greyline 3 wt. 9 ft. With loop reel, I have landed some very nice cuts, and some 3-4 lb. bulls, very happy with the setup.have also used a Winston B IIIx 2 wt, on cuts, and bulls 3-4 lbs. both great rods.

If you ever wanna sell that grey line lemme know!

• Like 2