Fly Fusion Forums

New Vehicle Time

It's just about time to replace our 2004 Pathfinder. We going new 2015.

We've eliminated many SUV models as being too big - we DON'T WANT 7 seats, I need the storage space and am not gonna pay for comfort that is NEVER going to be used.

Many are too small. Some are way too pricey ans some are just not of interest.

Narrowed down to another Pathfinder, Subaru Outback, and Accura RDX.

Googling auto reviews is of little value as each rating agency seems to 'promote' different vehicles. How can a vehicle be in top 2 or 3 on one rating and not even show up on others?? Hmmmmmm.

Any comments, reviews appreciated.

Angler, I previously had a 2006 Nissan Xterra and kept it for 8 years so I am using that as my comparison starting point. The vehicle was great and I never had an issue at all. I ended up going with the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014, definitely a few more creature comforts that I don't care about but I like the look of it and the Quadra lift air suspension system does a nice job of giving a guy some on road and off road versatility due to the height adjustment from the air ride suspension. Definitely a pricey unit but other then that pretty happy.

With that being said my parents just bought a 2014 Pathfinder and are also very pleased with it. I drove it and found it to be a great vehicle in comparison to my new Jeep. A few differences although nothing deal breaking just different markets. Bit less jam then my Jeep as I went with the V8 Hemi option (hello fast, goodbye fuel). Also not quite as many creature comforts and also not quite the robustness offered in the off-road system such as multiple terrain modes and the Quadra lift system mentioned above. I still feel it would be able to handle the backcountry quite well though and is a great vehicle for more then a few pennies less then the Jeep.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

ever consider a tacoma or frontier with a nice leer canopy? I don't think you will find a better fishing unit... fuel eco, space, off road.. little bias as have the frontier. I would buy the same truck again tomorrow but would go for heated seats... getting old

• Like 1

Just bought a 2014 Tacoma in May after another trip to Terrace and back in my old CRV (thing made the trip ~10 times). Couldn't be happier with it, other then needing to upgrade the tires for the rainy days. With a cap on it (leer 100XR), it's pretty well my ideal fishing truck.

At 7000km on it (took to terrace within 2 weeks of buying, whoops!), I'm averaging 12.4 L/100 km, which I'm more then happy with considering it's hardly broken in.

Definitely worth looking at.

ever consider a tacoma or frontier with a nice leer canopy? I don't think you will find a better fishing unit... fuel eco, space, off road.. little bias as have the frontier. I would buy the same truck again tomorrow but would go for heated seats... getting old

If you are old, then I am a fossil Buddy. Yes both nice trucks. Almost bought a Tacoma.

Don't need a truck. Got one. A '97 F250 diesel with Leer topper and boat loader. Set up for long term trips with trailer , wife and dog as well as solo overnighters. 17 years old and 149k km. When bought new it was gonna be last truck and think it's gonna make it.

Looking for an everyday vehicle.

Subaru is the safest option in Canadian winters. Safety should be a high priority, with relatives and children and spouses being in the car. Nothing beats their stability and traction in winter (combined with great snow tires of course) and they have top rankings in crash tests. Kind of a no-brainer for that reason IMHO. Plus you see a lot of old subarus on the road, not so much nissan... Acura (honda) are likely pretty reliable as well, but going to be more expensive for work and parts. As you can tell, I'm biased for subaru.... own one myself. Well, two right now actually....

• Like 1

+1 on the Subaru, I drive a Tacoma and steal my wife's Subaru every chance I get. Unless I'm pulling a trailer or going way off-road the Subaru will go just about anywhere. Fold the seats down and there is tons of space for gear etc.

+1 Subaru

I own a Subaru Outback 2012. I test drove the other options like the CRV and Rav4. I found the Subaru to be much nicer to drive. I was already leaning towards it, but it was the only AWD vehicle that came with a manual transmission. Put a set of good winter tires on it and it becomes a hinterland machine.

Unless I manage to come into a large amount of money and can afford the upgrades to Audi or BMW, I doubt that I will ever own a different brand of vehicle.

I agree with the Santa Fe. We have a 2009 and it is an excellent SUV. Drove the CRV, RAV and Subaru before purchasing the Santa Fe. Only issue we have had is that the cheap tires that came with it from the factory wore out at 50,000Km.

my everyday car is a '12 Subaru Legacy GT - very good car, fold down back seats mean works well for skiing etc. I have a '04 Tundra for when I need a truck. I don't think you'd go wrong with an Outback.

my only complaint abt my car is the lack of a couple of bells and whistles (to be exact memory driver seat, auto up & down on all 4 windows) - a bit of a chintzy complaint. it's not a luxury car. I'd expect the RDX to have a leg up on the Outback for luxury items.

Having driven a Pathfinder for years I made the switch to a truck and then added a car for everyday driving. I'd never buy another SUV - not much fun for everyday driving and not properly a truck. Cargo area in SUVs is too small unless you go full size and who wants that purchase and operating cost, not to mention the size issues.

Since you have a truck I think the Outback is the best choice for an everyday driving car. Not to mention that Subaru has a very high owner satisfaction rating in Consumer Reports - I believe 3rd after Mercedes and Lexus - and very good reliability.

• Like 1

my everyday car is a '12 Subaru Legacy GT - very good car, fold down back seats mean works well for skiing etc. I have a '04 Tundra for when I need a truck. I don't think you'd go wrong with an Outback.

my only complaint abt my car is the lack of a couple of bells and whistles (to be exact memory driver seat, auto up & down on all 4 windows) - a bit of a chintzy complaint. it's not a luxury car. I'd expect the RDX to have a leg up on the Outback for luxury items.

Having driven a Pathfinder for years I made the switch to a truck and then added a car for everyday driving. I'd never buy another SUV - not much fun for everyday driving and not properly a truck. Cargo area in SUVs is too small unless you go full size and who wants that purchase and operating cost, not to mention the size issues.

Since you have a truck I think the Outback is the best choice for an everyday driving car. Not to mention that Subaru has a very high owner satisfaction rating in Consumer Reports - I believe 3rd after Mercedes and Lexus - and very good reliability.

Unfortunately, I found the same thing. All the other equivalents that I drove had nicer interiors and better sound systems. I did my test driving in December. None of the other vehicles I drove compare to the power and control of the manual transmission AWD system of the Subaru. I did not testdrive the Pathfinder or the CRV

I find the payload sufficient enough to haul a couple of bikes with wheels. I have the Touring version, so it was super easy to add a Thule when I needed the extra capacity.

I was in the Subaru dealership getting my 60000km service. I noticed they have certainly amped up some of the extras in the Outback, but I am sure the competitors have done the same thing.

Flytyer: We plan to do just that later in Sept when we have time to get into cowtown. Can't buy anything but big three locally.

Anybody with any of my options haul a drift boat about?? 2004 Pathfinder is ok at 240HP but not sure less would do the trick. Acura at 273 and subura at 175 hp??

Jeep with V6 ecodiesel, not huge on the horsepower but pretty amazing amounts of ft-lb of torque. Supposedly have some pretty good mileage with it as well and I know as I was just there lots of them are offering the no charge diesel option which was a $5000 touch when I bought mine. Not saying Jeep is the only option just giving you the information I can.

Other thing to look at is the transmission as the gearing will affect the towing as well as the torque output of the engine.

We just bought a 2008 Acura MDX with low mileage....I think it's nice but can't seem to get some time in it thanks to my wife loving it...did notice it is a solid heavy machine but I guess that's why the ride is so good...mileage is truck like...but Honda's go forever...still have the 2002 Yukon for bushwackin but decided I deserved some luxury before I got too old...too late...

Jeep with V6 ecodiesel, not huge on the horsepower but pretty amazing amounts of ft-lb of torque. Supposedly have some pretty good mileage with it as well and I know as I was just there lots of them are offering the no charge diesel option which was a $5000 touch when I bought mine. Not saying Jeep is the only option just giving you the information I can.

Other thing to look at is the transmission as the gearing will affect the towing as well as the torque output of the engine.

i'm thinking of the V6 ecodiesel, but the cherokee sure isn't on the cheap side!

Flytyer: We plan to do just that later in Sept when we have time to get into cowtown. Can't buy anything but big three locally.

Anybody with any of my options haul a drift boat about?? 2004 Pathfinder is ok at 240HP but not sure less would do the trick. Acura at 273 and subura at 175 hp??

My little CRV towed a drift boat for guiding for years

Nissan and GMC are both coming out with "ecodiesel" options later this year as well. Nissan is releasing a cummins 5.0 and the GMC is going to be releasing a 1/4 ton Duramax 2.4 I think. Might be worth waiting for if you are looking for any towing capability. The plus side of a truck is you can add a tonneau cover and never have to worry about stinking up the cab of your vehicle with wet fishing gear.

i'm thinking of the V6 ecodiesel, but the cherokee sure isn't on the cheap side!

Nope they really aren't. Blew me away how pricey but I will be honest more features on the inside then I need or initially wanted but I am enjoying some of them for sure.

They did a great job on the interior and the Air ride suspension is a nice touch.

I still haven't done much back country stuff with it yet but will here shortly.