Fly Fusion Forums

Stolen Gear...

Hey, gang...

On Thursday night (Aug 7th) some dirtbag helped himself to some fishing gear from the trunk of my car..

Dirtbag got my vest, filled with about 95% of the flies I own, plus my big streamer box.

Also gone are my Simms raincoat, bear spray, big arse knife, small net with lanyard/magnet connector,

as well as my favorite spinning rod & reel.

If someone tries to sell you any of this stuff, kindly bear spray the dirtbag & cut his balls off with the knife. Or, if you prefer, contact me and/or the police.

Thanks!

Vest is not expensive, but the contents will cost a crapload to replace; easily several thousand dollars worth of flies!!!

Vest looks like this...

PtlDUq.jpg

It's made by Allen, and every dang pocket is stuffed with fly boxes!!!

The jacket that's hanging off the back of the vest is gone, as well.

It cost a small fortune & looks like this...

b19c86.jpg

3nqh.jpg

This is probably the only box i have a photo of. This pic was taken last year; every slot has a fly in it now! The vest has two foam lined pockets containing several hundred nymphs, plus, by my best recollection, at least 10 other boxes/containers of flies!

pc112109.jpg

This reel is gone...

aF3idv.jpg

...but, it is attached to my 20 year old Fenwick Willow Action rod; my favorite spinning rod, ever!!!

nbL4U2.jpg

Keep an eye out for this stuff, folks. (Even though we all know that I'll never see any of this gear again... :crybaby: )

I already got started replacing flies.I fished with a fellow from Arkansas the next day. He's here visiting family for a while; got in touch with me through another forum, I said i would get him out fishing.

We went to my favorite creek. While we were gearing up, he handed me a big box of streamers, mouse patterns, etc.

He said, "I effin' hate fishing streamers; might as well get your fly collection started back up."

He wouldn't take "no" for an answer. Something for me to pay forward sometime, I guess.

Today, I was talking to a FFC member, trying to set up some fishing trips. Told him what had happened. He offered me a vest/backpack thingy to replace my vest.

Faith in humanity- restored!

Thanks for keeping an eye out, y'all!

(You know what really sucks? There was no forced entry. Pretty sure there was a strap from a pack across the trunk latch when I closed it Thursday night, it didn't catch & popped open as I walked away.

I ALWAYS double-check my trunk, because there's usually a bunch of gear in there. Well, almost always... :opps: )

Sorry about your stuff man. Thieves are amongst the most awful people on earth!!! If you shoot me ur address i will send or drop off a care package for you! if your looking for a good replacement vest I have this one that you can have.

47132fc6-c954-4d9c-9ccf-7546aeadd450_zps

IMG_0664_zpsbdef3710.jpg

Its been used 3 times and did cost quite a bit of money but i just never use it! I can tell from your posts that you could use a good vest, this ones got it all. it was the deluxe model when i bought years ago. it just hangs and collects dust. Its a cool looking vest, sorry about the blurry pics, was a quick reply before work.

• Like 4

That totally sucks man!!... I have been ripped off four times, once here in Med Hat, 2 fly reels and 90% of my Flies along with my good camera, broke into my truck at a Tigers hockey game... Once on my way back from the Mountains, filled up with Gas in Lethbridge, went in to Pay, come back my Pack with ALL my Flies gone... Twice in Mexico in 2 weeks, first time 2 Saltwater Fly reels, cell phone, passport, rain jacket, leaders, shock leaders and some other things, (Car rental company followed us, clean break in with spare key) second break in that trip, All Remaining Flies most of them Clive lent me, along with taking my camera charger, that time they punched the rear hatch lock with a screwdriver, they also tried to rip out the CD player, but only got in half way out.... I feel for ya man, I have had that rip your guts out, sink like a rock feeling a few times, sorry to hear, hope it shows up, ya never know..... Thieves are the scum of the earth, bottom of the barrell...

Jeff..

• Like 1

Check local pawn shops,starting with the one closest to home...crackhead thieves don't have much use for fly gear,and kids don't have wheels to move stolen goods very far.

....also if you need chest waders,I have 2 spare sets,one for free,the other very cheap.

• Like 1

Sorry about your stuff man. Thieves are amongst the most awful people on earth!!! If you shoot me ur address i will send or drop off a care package for you! if your looking for a good replacement vest I have this one that you can have.

47132fc6-c954-4d9c-9ccf-7546aeadd450_zps

IMG_0664_zpsbdef3710.jpg

Its been used 3 times and did cost quite a bit of money but i just never use it! I can tell from your posts that you could use a good vest, this ones got it all. it was the deluxe model when i bought years ago. it just hangs and collects dust. Its a cool looking vest, sorry about the blurry pics, was a quick reply before work.

Dude, that is exactly what I need! Looks perfect for those long days on the creek/river. Can fit food & water, bigger boxes, etc., in the back. Not really in the habit of accepting charity; we will work out a fair price, yes?

• Like 2

Check local pawn shops,starting with the one closest to home...crackhead thieves don't have much use for fly gear,and kids don't have wheels to move stolen goods very far.

....also if you need chest waders,I have 2 spare sets,one for free,the other very cheap.

Luckily, my Simms convertible waders(birthday gift from a couple years ago) & brand new Korkers boots(birthday gift from this year) were the only things I actually brought in the house Thursday night when I got home from fishing.

Whoever was pilfering from my trunk must have gotten scared off by a passing vehicle or something. They left several fly rod & reel combos behind, luckily for me! Only reel they got was my relatively cheap Okuma 5wt with a sinktip line that was in my vest.

Thanks for the offer, though; much appreciated!

I will get to work on making some worms for you so you can get back to nymphing those big, fat Cutts out of their honey holes. Unfortunately my pattern is very old school (using Amnesia) so it may not work as well as your new hi-tech worms.

• Like 1

Very generous as the members always are. I was b + E a few years ago and cleaned me out of flies, and lots of gear, Thank God for full replacement ins.. took a while to stock up. My truck got it sat pm, had loads of stuff to take and all that was gone was my phone and I got it back from a nice couple who found it. Lucked out this time. Sucks for you so hope they get caught but doubtful. :gkhan:

• Like 1

I know how ya feel! Was out camping on the island last week and my car was broken into. They made off with a fishpond guide pack, three boxes of flies, an older scientific angler reel and airflo ridgeline. They left the rod though which was odd as it was in its TFO marked tube. They wrangled a bunch of other stuff but losing a bunch tied up flies is the biggest p*ss off for me. Dam thieves!!! Arrggg!

thats a shitty thing to say...it couldve been anybody...

Let me try that again than. I remember a time when you could have left your trunk open all night and came back in the morning and nothing would have been missing.

• Like 2

Here is all Steve needs for flies:

Light SJWs that he can cast with his 2 wt. He may be a pig, but he is a pig with style!

Ants and beetles. Really, anything little and black that floats. Some red in it for visibility is always a nice touch.

Ice cream cone chronnies

That's it really. Everything else will just gather dust. If those of you who contribute can figure out a way to infuse the flies with a creek amnesia substance so he can forget where his favorite creek is, that would be nice. His favorite creek correlates pretty much exactly to my favorite creek. Since I'm barely fishing this year, I was hoping the creek gets a year long break so I can fish the hell out of it next year. He is ruining my plans. I thought that if I stole all his flies (which is really all I wanted, I just took the spinning gear to be an ***hole) he would quit. But no, all you nice people gotta give him stuff. Stupid Canada.

Sorry to hear you lost your stuff buddy. Come to Panorama next week (seriously) and I'll show you some new water to poach!!

• Like 3

Here is all Steve needs for flies:

Light SJWs that he can cast with his 2 wt. He may be a pig, but he is a pig with style!

Ants and beetles. Really, anything little and black that floats. Some red in it for visibility is always a nice touch.

Ice cream cone chronnies

That's it really. Everything else will just gather dust. If those of you who contribute can figure out a way to infuse the flies with a creek amnesia substance so he can forget where his favorite creek is, that would be nice. His favorite creek correlates pretty much exactly to my favorite creek. Since I'm barely fishing this year, I was hoping the creek gets a year long break so I can fish the hell out of it next year. He is ruining my plans. I thought that if I stole all his flies (which is really all I wanted, I just took the spinning gear to be an ***hole) he would quit. But no, all you nice people gotta give him stuff. Stupid Canada.

Sorry to hear you lost your stuff buddy. Come to Panorama next week (seriously) and I'll show you some new water to poach!!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

You forgot big ol' super floaty foam hoppers & great big Jimmylegs.

For hopper/dropper fishing.

With my 2wt. ;)

Thanks for the Pano invite, my friend.

I'm afraid there's no way in hell I could change my holidays, though; too bad our weeks didn't line up!

For the love of God, do some fishing, take some pics & post a report on here.

Have fun!

Let me try that again than. I remember a time when you could have left your trunk open all night and came back in the morning and nothing would have been missing.

Remember when you could go hunting/fishing all day and leave your keys in the ignition,worse case scenario somebody had an emergency and needed to borrow your truck right away.
  • Like 1