Fly Fusion Forums

Hunting Draws

Well theres gotta be some fellow hunters out there, what draws did everyone pull? I got my antlered moose for 412!

JB

Nice! That's awesome! How many years did that take? This was the first year I put in for an antlered moose in 300. I figure I'll have a few years to toughen up or find some friends haha

I had a priority 6 for this one but i could have got it at 5 just didnt put in for it last year, every wmu is different. My buddy had p10 and was hoping to get drawn for 304, it didnt happen . What zone are you going to go for monger? Priority ten is nice I was thinking about waiting but seen a few nice bulls during cat season so couldnt wait... Should be a good season all around, gotta start getting into the mountains and lose the beer gut ive been working since Feb.

Antlerless in 406 whitetail but I don't think ill use it. Ill just go general this year. I have really good priority on mule and going to hunt 146 next year for a monster mule going to hunt the coulees from boat access. Hey Monger let me know if you want help on your Moose hunt I am getting close on mine another couple years and I could use the experience.

P10 no good for 304? I saw a bunch of swamp donkeys last year...nothing big, just good eaters. Not quite sure where to go. Big giant ones tend not to taste good I'm told. Seems like a lot of meat not to enjoy it. My young son says not to worry because he will pull the trigger for me...darn kids. Wait all this time and he wants all the glory. I might have to wait until I'm on the geezer team next time around to get my first bull moose.

Jared I'm looking forward to seeing the buck you get...should be a wallhanger if you are patient enough. Learn how to do the gutless method for removing meat, it is the only way to go.

My buddy shot a 50" bull last year he had p10, the other guy had p9 didnt get it put in for it this year and still didnt get it. The priorties change every year with how many people draw higher priorities then you. I will be one lucky sob to get that type of bull in 412 but I decided its worth it right now. I would look up how many tags got issued for the zone you want and see what the typical priority is.

Wow p10 hey? That seems like a long time. I'm still fairly new to this if you can't tell haha. Glad he was able to get one that big. That's pretty cool. I saw a show one time about the moose draws in Maine I believe. There it seemed like it was just a random lottery so if you actually got one it was a once in a life time deal. I seem to remember them talking to someone that waited over 20 years for his. Any way I'm assuming I can google to find out how many tags were issued for a specific WMU? I'll see what I can find

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I love the AB system, in NB where I'm from the moose hunt is like our goat draw (with quite a few more tags), but it might take 30 yrs to draw one! The hunt is only 3 days too when ya finally do draw one!

I was drawn for Muley buck so I will concentrate on that early season with the bow and later with the 270 weatherby mag if needed. I 999d most of the rest as I prefer to concentrate on one species as time is limited and fall fishing is the best and I can always chase whitetails or perhaps I will get drawn for archery antelope which is a blast. Monger which tikka do have I have a couple of M55s in .338win mag and 30.06 for the bigger brute hunting. Good hunting to all

Well theres gotta be some fellow hunters out there, what draws did everyone pull? I got my antlered moose for 412!

JB

Good luck JB,I've been deer hunting 412 pretty hard last 2 seasons (15-20days/year?) and stumble into moose quite often in the area that I haunt....probly 1 moose/day on average....pretty decent odds considering I'm not even hunting them,so I'd be stoked for calling during the rut,should be a great hunt.

Haven't seen any real monsters but a couple decent 50ish bulls....but again,not calling or moose hunting so.....??

Well I got drawn originally for turkey with a P7 for the upcoming spring season and then last week received a lovely phone call from NEW YORK STATE (Apparently our new hunting and fishing licence management system is headquartered out of there) notifying me that there was an "unforseen" error in the computers and 93 turkey draws were awarded that should not have been, and that I was NOT a winner of the draw this year.

This new system is really pissing me off... Like first off the fishing licence on an entire 8x11 sheet of paper. Real convenient to fit in the wallet. Then I buy walleye tags for pigeon lk, the new tags DONT EVEN HAVE ANY INFORMATION PRINTED ON THEM. They just give you a blank tag with a #, and then, you guessed it, another 8.5x11 printout and you yourself have to fill in all the info... I can just see all the problems and guys taking advantage of this if the hunting tags are like this too...

Oh, still waiting to hear about trophy antelope. 11 years is probably not enough, I guess. What was wrong with using IBM? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

birthing pains with new system..all about value for the all mighty $$$..IBM huge $$$ vs new system.

Would gladly pay a little more for the tried and true, nearly-flawless system though.

ScottN, it should be good pickins for the muley does down in that neck of the woods this fall. I have been working down there a bit and seeing lots of them, all the fawns look super healthy. Are they still giving out that tag in 2's or just the singles again?

Would gladly pay a little more for the tried and true, nearly-flawless system though.

ScottN, it should be good pickins for the muley does down in that neck of the woods this fall. I have been working down there a bit and seeing lots of them, all the fawns look super healthy. Are they still giving out that tag in 2's or just the singles again?

Just single tags, at least as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably right. For a few years there you were getting two (similar to the supplemental antlerless whitetail deal). And IIRC some zones in east central Alberta were three tags for that draw.

I'd never be hurting that much for meat that I'd need to kill 2, nevermind 3 of those smelly things!