Fly Fusion Forums

Police Lake Ranch And Retreat

Hi gang,

I just wanted to make people aware that there is a proposal that is currently being reviewed that could

negatively effect the Police Lake fishery. See the notification bellow outlining the development and

the date for a public meeting.

CARDSTON COUNTY PUBLIC MEETING

WEDNESDAY, JULY 16, 2014 7:OO P.M.

TANNER CENTENNIAL SENIORS CENTRE

The County has received an application for a development permit that the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC) has directed to a public meeting for community input. The application is for a proposal referred to as the Police Lake Ranch and Retreat to be developed on the following address: Lot 3, Block 1, Plan 0513218 within the NE 1-1-27-W4, which lies directly west of Police Outpost Provincial Park. The proposal includes a 4800 sq. ft. Lodge, two 4000 sq. ft. Reunion Centre Pavilions, fifteen 320 sq. ft cabins, an unserviced group camp area, up to 150 serviced RV sites, bison and horse paddocks, and other associated amenities.

The application is for a Private Recreation use within an Agriculture-AG Land Use District as per the County’s Land Use Bylaw No. 443/98.

Anyone is welcome to attend the public meeting and will be given an opportunity to speak.

For more information, contact:

Josh Bourelle, Development Officer, Cardston County, 403-653-4977

The fresh water flow into Police Outpost Lake comes in from the west. Two things could occur.

1) the fresh water flow could be effected - and yes it happens. Goldeye Lake camp dropped the lake 4' before they were forced to get a none lake source. By the way, there goes that shoals.

2) the sewage outflow would likely proceed downhill to the lake. Blue green algea is not good.

And as recreation increases on the lake, the 12 km/h speed limit will be ignored ever more till jet skis are the order of the day.

As a family who owns a recreational property south of Rocky, we travel to Police Outpost Lake regularly to get away from fireworks, quads, constant shooting, mud bogs and generally idiotic behaviour. So the question is: what part of Alberta can we go now?

By the way, we are considering selling the place. The area comes with delivered drinkee poos, golf cart races, recreational firearm discharges, fireworks invitations, midnight quad tune-ups and vehicle dodge ball with drunks. As all our neighbours are from Calgary, feel free to apply.

Don

How could this negatively impact the fishery? Just curious.

Smitty

Could be more poaching, negatively effect groundwater, be disruptive to bears, birds and other wildlife habitat. With a 150 unit RV park you can be sure there will some negative effects. The main purpose of the post was just to let people know that it's being looked at. Personally I would rather not see it but you may have another view.

I meant it when I said just curious. It's helpful to prod a bit when people say some development could negatively impact the area. I did think of the potential sewage issue; but for those in opposition having specific points and arguments are better than generalizations when attending town hall meetings and articulating the position. :)

I've never been to Police myself; but I have some sympathy to Don's overall views in general. Notwithstanding global financial crises, thousands of people are moving to this province as it continues to be a top 10 GDP growth region - on the entire planet. And with the gov't always running behind and being reactive in general to people management and outdoor recreation, there will be continued pressure as we rich Albertans try to accommodate each other in "sharing", especially with our "toys".

Cheers.

Smitty

Oldman River Chapter of Trout Unlimited will be making a written submission addressing our concerns. There are far more negatives than positives, not just from the standpoint of the fishery but for the preservation of environment and wildlife as well. I seriously doubt this project will move ahead but anyone who wishes should let your concerns be know.n....

• Like 5

This is very bad news.This area is in such a pristine enviroment,that imo will be destoryed.One only has to look at other developments,around lakes in the province.Those clear waters,will soon be choked with blue green algae.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At Monday’s Council meeting, the date of the Public Hearing was set for Thursday, August 21st at 7:00 PM. We, and you, will have the opportunity to present our arguments and voice our concerns at this Public Hearing. The location of the Public Hearing has not yet been determined.

A concerned landowner is keeping us inthe loop on this.....The "proposal for development" is the same but they are trying to get the land re-zoned first....

• 5 weeks later...

One of our TU members attended and presented our letter of opposition. He said there were a couple hundred people there. It was poorly organized and everyone wanted to have their say but nothing was accomplished. A typical town hall type meeting with a typical outcome. Will have to follow it for more on any results........

• 5 months later...

I came across this groups facebook page and see it's still in court. The webpage seems devoid of project details/ whats happening, lots of stuff deleted by the looks of it (that or it's just a very poor webpage). Does anyone know if this is a simple cabin/ camping lot project versus a mormon (or other Church) build? Not trying to start a debate either way so please don't take it that route, I'm just curious where the money/support is coming from.

Sounds like this could be a development that will benefit a small group of people and put some sensitive environmental areas at risk. I'm all about property rights but land use zoning is there for a reason too. Just wondering if anyone has heard whats happening down there as of late. Thanks.