Fly Fusion Forums

A Few Tarpon Shots From Cuba

beedhead

Hi All..

Back from Cuba, It was somewhat balmy down there to say the least B)

Only fished one day, was to hot to go wondering around Varadero looking for fish, in which I heard were far few between. Went fishing one day on the South end of the Island... Had a absolutely fantastic Guide. So needless to say I had a Fantastic time. But WOW was it hot in the mangroves. Jumped a few Tarpon and got 3 to hand one being in the 50lb Range, great battle, Jumped 5 times, awesome. Glad I hit the Big boy on the main River rather than in the tight mangroves, doubtful I would have landed a fish of that size in skinny water. The small Tarpon were tough enough to keep out of the tight Mangroves. One smaller Tarpon got me wrapped up in the Mangroves when he Jumped, however with a great skillful guide he got him out out of the roots by hand, impressive.... Here are a few Pics...

Cheers.. Jeff..

P1010230.jpg

P1010260.jpg

P1010266.jpg

P1010277.jpg

P1010288.jpg

P1010291.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Rob,

The Guides name is Felipe, I was told prior to going "he is the Lefty Kreh Of Cuba", and there ain't no doubt about that... Very Patient, caring, super knowledgeable and can tell he loves his fish, surrounding Environment and fellow Cubans... Ill tell ya, when one of my Tarpon that leaped into the mangrove branches, then I pulled him out with rod, then jumped again and got caught in the roots below, Felipe with no hesitance was in there like a dirty shirt untangling line with his bare hands to get the Tarpon free, and he got it!! He said "Fish Landed" With a big grin.... Felipe was really worried about the Tarpons survival, and he said so.. Right there I thought to me self "This guy is more than a guide, he is Fantastic" :thumbup::thumbup: My Kinda People...

Cheers... Jeff..

• Like 2

That's awesome. Glad you had a good time and got to feel the pull of a tarpon. It will be pretty hard to think of anything else but your next trip. Some great pics too.

Lorne,

All I have been thinkin about is Tarpon Since that day, Headin to the Hills tomorrow for a few days to Chase some Trout. Im sure when I hook into one Ill be looking for a Tarpon to come Flying out of the water Hahahaha...

Lorne, Thanx again for lending me some gear for Cuba, much appreciated!!

Cheers... Jeff..

• Like 1

I fished with Fillipe at Las Salinas - great guy, great guide.

Hey freestone, Felipe is an awesome guy, so patient and knowledgable. I will definitely go with him again... As I was told prior to the trip "He is the Lefty Kreh of Cuba"....

Did you go for Tarpon, bones or both with Felipe?... Next time I want to do Both and go for a few days... Was thinking about doing both on the last trip, but way to hot, and Felipe agreed as well, that it was way to hot to go for the Bones the next day... Later in the day He Said, while in the mangroves "Im Cuban and I can hardly take this heat" I bet with the Humidex in the mangroves it was over 50 degrees celsius.. I was praying for rain when I saw some clouds rolling in from the ocean, but suddenly cleared...

Cheers... Jeff..

• 2 weeks later...