Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boats?

My next boat is the outcast pac 9000 Designed for lake but fine for most rivers. Big enough to handle electric motor or over night gear. High quality. Four chambers for low profile in wind and added security in case of leaks. Reasonably light weight No straps needed for assembly

Outcast build decent boats. Available at Fishin' Hole or Wholesale.

I'd suggest the 9IR @$899.95

Please don't buy Costco or CDN boats. They are poorly constructed.

If you had told us what you spending limit may be, the choices are simple.

Figure on $ 800+ for a decent boat. Add a further $100 for anchors, dry boxes. Add another $150 for Mustang suspender style of life jacket. Add a further $20 for your required safety gear pack. Need waders, add $150>800. Fins are needed for lakes. Add another $150. See what $2,000 gets ya.

Don

• Like 1

I recently purchased the frameless Outcast Stealth Pro--- a foot longer than the Scout. I have only had it on the lake twice . Prior to it, I had a Fish Cat 4. I wanted something with oars as the 'old motor' couldn't handle long days and wind like a few years ago. I love it for the lake and the fact that it rolls up and fits into my vehicle so nicely. Assembly and breakdown are quick because of being frameless. I cannot comment on river useage at this point. I am sure that the oar system, while adequate for the lake, may not perform as well as a framed model would on the river. Also, you don't sit up quite as high, but I believe that it is a bit more maneuverable when using flippers than when in a framed model. Not sure if it could be fitted with an electric motor.

I have only tried a small framed model once, and did not enjoy my day-- starting with assembly, rowing in the wind, maneuvering with flippers, and finally the takedown and packing up. I may not have had the seat set in the proper position because I felt like I was tipped down in the back all day-- which probably resulted in the rowing and maneuvering difficulties.

Note: Most framed model pontooners I encounter, leave their boats inflated -- hauling in trucks or trailers. That to me was a huge determining factor in my choosing the Stealth Pro. This model is just as costly as a good framed model.

Good luck with your search and purchase. I spent considerable time trying to find something to suit my needs-- and feel the Stealth Pro fits the bill!! :yak:

im pretty sure oar locking joint on frameless pontoon will break, my inflatable has exact same system and break within 2 years. It's a easy fix tho. If I were buying a pontoon, I will go with what Don suggested. Being able to sit higher is a great deal in lake fishing.