Fly Fusion Forums

Buying Reels,rods,flies On Line

Hello,

After taking a break from fishing with the arrival of 3 boys. The boys are now at a age(15,14,10) which there showing interests in the fly fishing sport. So I will be responsible to buy there gear and flies over the next few years. Just wondering on some of the on-line fishing web sites who offer good deals were I could save a few dollars. I have supported local shops over the years for my self but now I got 3 little fly fisherman to look after...

Thanks

Porto

Most shops have blowout sales yearly on gear. Its nice to see what you are buying, support the local shops who give you great knowledge on local waters, and get you kids involved withe the process visiting the shop and choosing. Just my opinion

• Like 1

Maybe till you know for sure they will stick with it, you could rent some gear, I believe this can be done at the hatchery. If anyone is sure or has correct info feel free to chime in

I have to agree with Flytyer . Since I have a 14 & 17 year old. They know that FF requires 2 hands and they may be require to put down there super computer at some point or they may be somewhere where there is no service . Sorry just venting lol

I have to agree with Flytyer . Since I have a 14 & 17 year old. They know that FF requires 2 hands and they may be require to put down there super computer at some point or they may be somewhere where there is no service . Sorry just venting lol

Lol.... The 14 and 10 year old aren't so bad. As long as get to go on the iPad or iPod for some games at the end of night.

Stillwater flyshop is pretty good online.

They usually have good sales and throw in a free line with the purchase rod or reel. Free shipping to canada on orders over $50 if I remember correctly.

Sometimes if you call you actually get a better deal than online.

But used is a good way to go as well, try putting on a WTB post and sometimes guys will want to help you out.

I was at Fish Tales on the weekend and had a peek at a couple of kids outfits they had. The reddington package was $120 with a 8'0" 5/6wt 2 pc. complete with rod, reel, backing, line and leader.

TFO has the same thing for $150.

Thinking about picking one up for my 8 year old who I took out to practice casting on the weekend. If he continues to show interest, then I will make the plunge and get him some gear.

Theres lots of used gear out there for reasonable prices. If your looking for packages there are a few that are reasonable. I would start the boys out with a Redington package. They run about $150. I coached both my kids and they built their own rods with glowing pride. Both kids still have those rods and have never broke them. If you tie your own flies its a great way to involve them as well. If you don't tie then the three of you could do a class together as well. Theres great pride in building your own flies with your family. Just my $0.02 worth. All the same, enjoy your time spent with your family exploring the flyfishing world.

For many years I would hit every Garage Sale I seen I have picked up many good rods and reels over the years and have saved loads of bucks doing it you just have to know when to quit doing the garage seen and start enjoying the fishing

Thanks for all the tips...

I ended up getting the two boys the superfly combo from cabalas. The combos are $99 and the neighbours kid works there and ended up getting them for $80 each.

Comes with reel, rod. Float line and backing. The 13 year old got a 5/6# and the 10 year old 4/5#

• Like 1

Porto..... Thats a great deal. Enjoy the "quality time" with your kids....... They grow up too damn fast as it is.

Thanks... The fun part is taking them to the places I use to fish back 15-20 years ago. Crowsnest is where I taught myself the art of fly fishing, and the help of books and videos from the library. I honestly think it's the perfect river to teach and learn to flyfish.

I can still remember the first trout I caught on a dry fly. 3rd week of June, mid week on the Crowsnest above the falls. A old tree over hanging the bank barley hanging on by the roots and about a foot from touching the water. Cast a orange Stimulator up stream from the tree tight from the bank and watched it drift underneath the tree trunk . 5-6 casts later I thought there's nothing there! Went with one last cast before moving on ( a perfect cast I must admit) and BANG!!! A pretty 18" rainbow. It was a hard aggressive hit and 3-4 leaps later it was at the palm of my hands getting ready to release it back into the wild... It was perfect and to this day I still remember every little detail of the "moment"

Porto

• Like 1

Porto

Glad you did well on the setups.....my 14 year old now fishes with me all the time.....I started him with a $40 rod and my old reel and line.....When he got out of the stage of thinking he was Indiana Jones with his whip after 20 minutes of no fish , I gave him one of my older "good" rods.....My$.02 is be VERY patient.....in the beginning I would just let him do whatever he wanted while I fished.....then when I thought he was ready we went with one rod....it was "his" time....for quite a while he couldnt get a fish so i would hook them and give him the rod to reel them in.......once he caught the 1st one on his own , a nice 15" rainbow, which here in NY is a good fish, it was all business after that.

he still loses interest if there is no action but if they are after his fly and he misses he is that much more on point.....

best of luck and enjoy it !!!!!!

• Like 1