Fly Fusion Forums

Bow Habitat Station

Abe, I took my 3 year old grand daughter there on Friday. There is plentY of room to cast depending on how many people are walking behind you. The pond is quite small and not too deep. The shore line area has a 10 ft. Crushed gravel around half the pond. According to the girls inside the fish hatchery, the rules are that you need a valid licence between the ages of 16 and 65. According to the girls inside the building, they stocked it with 17 to 20 trout in the 8 inch range. While I was there, we saw 3 trout rise but the attention span of a 3 year old required us to move on after only a few minutes. Oh well next time I guess.

Murray

They have rental rods, I forget if they were spin cast or spinning rods but they were a complete set up with one lure on each rod. I think it was $5.00 for the rod rental. Adults can also fish there but need a fishing licence. Kids under 16 do not need a licence but if they are too young to hold the rod, the adult with them needs a licence.

Murray

ok I have to admit when I saw your post I thought to myself ha another guy who doesn't know how to measure fish but DUDE! the picture proves it, that is one sick fish! well done. Really that is an amazing fish. I know the feeling it is the sweetest feeling ever. I caught the fish of a lifetime on the Red Deer River (the one in my profile pic) and I honestly think about it weekly its like a movie clip that plays over and over in my head. If you don't mind could you explain the streamer set up you were using and type of flies? Again, well done.

ok I have to admit when I saw your post I thought to myself ha another guy who doesn't know how to measure fish but DUDE! the picture proves it, that is one sick fish! well done. Really that is an amazing fish. I know the feeling it is the sweetest feeling ever. I caught the fish of a lifetime on the Red Deer River (the one in my profile pic) and I honestly think about it weekly its like a movie clip that plays over and over in my head. If you don't mind could you explain the streamer set up you were using and type of flies? Again, well done.

We are way off topic now, but first off, nice fish you caught there on te Red Deer and yeah...I will be thinking of that fish a long while. As for technique, in short, the fish was caught in dirty water fishing slow and low, swinging small streamers – really nymphing two size 8 Bow River Buggers, about 0.5m apart with a small bit of lead between and above the flies to get them down. I use lead strips. I also employ a sink tip line. Honestly, this is usually my last resort. It is effective, but I would rather see fish chase and attack a big ugly streamer stripped fast. The problem has been the fish seem to be staying down and deep in well formed, stable habitat and not particularly making much effort to chase down food. Nymphing is something I prefer to leave until nothing else works. That being said, it is by far the most productive in most situations. Nymphing streamers or swimming them slowly along the bank and bottome is a stellar technique that everyone should employ, especially if other techniques aren’t working. You can't be afraid to lose flies.

Tight Lines.

• Like 1