Fly Fusion Forums

Got Me A New Rig. What Do I Need....

I just got a new drift boat a couple weeks ago. Haven't got her wet yet though... Couple weeks still before I have my maiden voyage..

Just wondering what "things" I should have in the vessel ie: safety gear, survival maybe, or just must haves or might be nice to have.

thanks for the help

and no one say life jackets, I have that one already covered :P

x2 on the extra plug! Terrible thing not to have when your buddy tries to be helpful and shears it off by over tightening it. Also TP in a ziplock, axe, spare oar, slingshot, flashlight, lighter and something very combustable to keep things interesting. What kind of boat did you get?

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but having a bailer on board is a must. Unless of course you want to go down with your ship.

You'll also need a first mate, and since we are roommates I think I've already staked a claim on that. Hell, I even bought the hat already.

When I bought my pontoon boat a few years back the guy told me I needed one of these on board, by law. I told him it was for a pontoon boat which would make it impossible to bail out and he said it didnt matter. All supplies are inside the bailing bucket:

IMG_0409_zps9aa82a5c.jpg

obviously you need a few comfort items and such but i do think you need something like this aboard, anyone??

If your buddies are not so great at estimating time (while on the sticks), an egg timer will keep them honest. Lack of invites will have the same effect.

A spare oar lock is a must and a breakdown oar is a good idea too.

Head lamp with spare batteries.

A garbage can so plastic bags, cans, old leaders etc. don't blow all over the river - the small narrow recycling bins work well (doubles as a bailer).

Garbage bags to pack out others people's plastic bags, cans, old leaders etc. you're going to find.

Spare trailer light, bearing, electrical tape/wire nuts, Crescent wrench for bush fixes.

Toque/gloves.

Common sense.

You'll also need a first mate, and since we are roommates I think I've already staked a claim on that. Hell, I even bought the hat already.

Hat doesn't mean anything until you learn how to row. You earn the hat. Its not given.

• Like 1