Fly Fusion Forums

If You Had $4000 Laying Around....

So, after a long and harsh (and enlightening) period of my life, I will be out of debt, completely 100% debt free. On my birthday none the less! I'm single, fairly young with no kids. I've decided to throw myself a " I'm out of debt, lets blow a paycheck party ".. I have 4K to spend on whatever I want, guilt free. Being a lifetime Leafs fan and never being to Toronto deciding between a trip to Toronto for 4 days to see two Leaf games ( vs Bruins and Jets), or on material things. Big TV, surround sound, new fly rod, etc..Maybe Vegas? Maybe a trip overseas? Looking for some ideas !!

Also please do not suggest investing the money, its time to have a little fun after saving for so very very long. :party:

Congrats on getting out of debt. I would look at spending some on a trip, single and some money always good to do a trip. I just visited Australia for a month recently and even though I went a little over budget, it was worth it.

In your situation, though might I recommend a trip roughly ~$2500-3000 then spend the rest on toys here. New Tv, fly rod etc.

I think you can do Southeast Asia for not a crazy sum of money. Australia is expensive both to get to and to travel.

If you choose Australia I would be glad to give you a few ideas or things I learned.

Well since you have your heart set on blowing it.

4000 will buy you 30 days in Vietnam or Thailand

Your largest expense is flight. Once you are there you can find a cheap bed for $8-30 a day. Beers are $0.5-1, a good meal is $3.

You can live a pretty good life for those 30 days. If it interests you send me a PM and I will direct you where to go and places to stay.

• Like 1

BiggyJ,

I just had a friend who was over in Thailand return early due to terrorism activity that beheaded some 20-odd tourists very close to where they were. I'd NOT recommend that at this time myself, but you may have some different info. :) Just a shout out.. if you didn't know. Political unrest and all..

Thanks for the input! I visited Australia when i was 18 for a month and had a blast, I'd love to go back but I feel I've already been there done that trip. I've narrowed it down to a fishing trip somewhere next December to say Cuba or Costa Rica, or a used drift boat w/trailer. Problem with the boat is I have no experience with that at all. Guess I'd have to convince some people willing to come with and educate me this summer. Anything left over I've decided to help some family out that are in some tough situations financially. Thanks again for the suggestions, I probably never would of thought of a boat :)..

Brian, 4k is what i will have left over after paying the rest of my truck off by my birthday. And yes we have job openings all the time! If you are willing to be a pipefitter or welder and work out of town for weeks at a time in ball shriveling -30 for 12 hour shifts.... :)

Drift boat and trailer.....hands down. Use it, take care of it, and you will get most of your money out of it when and if you need to.

Don't worry about the no experience thing, a few trips with someone who knows, and you will be doing great.....

Pick up the book 'Float Fishing Strategies' by Neil Streeks.....read it.

Warning, rowing can be addictive, some would rather row and enjoy watching their buddies catch fish....

• Like 2

Drift boat and trailer.....hands down. Use it, take care of it, and you will get most of your money out of it when and if you need to.

Don't worry about the no experience thing, a few trips with someone who knows, and you will be doing great.....

Warning, rowing can be addictive, some would rather row and enjoy watching their buddies catch fish....

I need more buddies like that aaa.

I need more buddies like that aaa.

or they're just sick of bad rowing and just want to see the opportunity for a fish to get into the boat...

you can get a used drifter in the states for that much, and that will last you a lot longer then any trip to any country...

• Like 2

Saltwater fishing trip. Just know that once you go you will need to come up with the money every year because you will want to keep going. Feeling the power and pull of those fish is very addicting. Or maybe a steelhead trip. Whatever you do enjoy!!

Put it in the bank and let it get to work for you. Then keep saving more each cheque. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Being debt free is one thing savings are good but really you should have money tucked away for emergencies as well...

Build a solid foundation a branch out from there.

Funbuster out!

Put it in the bank and let it get to work for you. Then keep saving more each cheque. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Being debt free is one thing savings are good but really you should have money tucked away for emergencies as well...

Build a solid foundation a branch out from there.

Funbuster out!

Let the money work for you right up until you die, thats when all the fun begins.

Whatever you do with it im make sure it will be something you will always remember.

Being a lifetime Leafs fan

I'd spend it on a psychologist.

And yes we have job openings all the time! If you are willing to be a pipefitter or welder and work out of town for weeks at a time in ball shriveling -30 for 12 hour shifts.... :)

No such thing as easy money.

For what it's worth, a few years ago I did a month of fishing in New Zealand for roughly that much......

Bingo,

I scored my first drifter for $2000. With $4000 you can buy a good used boat. Keep your eyes peeled and you can find good deals, especially if a guy has had his boat listed for a while.