Fly Fusion Forums

What Fly To Tie?

Hi all, I have had limited experience tying flies, the only style I have made are variations of Clouser Minnows for salt water fishing in Australia. It is a great buzz to fool a fish with a self tied fly and I am keen to dust off the old tying kit and attempt a few new patterns.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good starter fly or flies that would be useful for this area?

Thanks for your help.

post-5990-0-10108700-1395031786_thumb.jpg

There are lots to choose from. Try a Prince Nymph, Evil Weevil, Phesant Tail,Bow River Bugger,Wooly Buggers, various midges, Copper John,stone fly nymphs and drys,elk hair caddis,stimulators,grasshoppers,ants.

Murray

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I have done some searching through past topics I guess my main focus is a good starter fly if there is such a thing to work back into tying. One of the more simple flies (once again, if there is such a fly). Maybe one that some of you may have started tying in the beginning.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

That Clouser Minnow you tied up will work around here as well. I have limited Streamer fishing experience but have caught a couple fish on the Bow with a white one. Try tying a Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle, it was an amazing fly for me this past season...after the flood and all!

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, I have done some searching through past topics I guess my main focus is a good starter fly if there is such a thing to work back into tying. One of the more simple flies (once again, if there is such a fly). Maybe one that some of you may have started tying in the beginning.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Bead Head Hares Ear Nymph is about as easy and effective as they come. IMO size 12 is to big so i go mainly 14's and 16's.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

That Clouser Minnow you tied up will work around here as well. I have limited Streamer fishing experience but have caught a couple fish on the Bow with a white one. Try tying a Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle, it was an amazing fly for me this past season...after the flood and all!

X2 votes for both the Clouser and the PTSH!!

That Clouser you have posted is my personal fave color,with black over white a close second.Swing it,strip it,or cast a Clouser upstream and bounce it back down on retreive through deep runs,tight to deep cut banks etc....hang ta F on and dig your heels in!! LOL....seriously tho,CM is a very versatile pattern that just simply hooks fish,salt and fresh both.