Fly Fusion Forums

Questions Related To A New Rod

Hi All,

I started fly fishing last year, got myself a beginner TFO NXT rod (5/6 weight) and fished a lot of dries on smaller streams. Tried the bow river numerous times with no luck on the fly rod. I am currently trying to decide between two options: 1) Buy a new 7 or 8 wt rod to toss streamers or 2) Buy a new reel (or just spool) with a sink tip line on it for nymphing and streamers with the 5/6 wt.

My question is would buying a heavier weight rod help with tossing streamers out, or is it just my technique with the 5/6 wt? If i did get the new rod, would it still give me good results (compared to the 5/6 wt) while nymphing? Pretty much my goal is to have a viable option to nymph or streamer with, as I have found I have been having problems casting out a weighted nymph rig (or just getting the nymphs to the bottom without the weight), would the sink tip line be hard to cast too? Thanks for any and all help.

I would put your money towards a day with a good guide. Your current setup will work fine and a guide will help you to be more successful than a new setup will. I am all for new gear, but you can shave years off the learning curve by spending time with a pro.

• Like 2

The rod you have is fine for all rivers. The only reason to get the heavier rod would be if you're going for Pike. A sink tip line is easy to cast if you know how to double haul. If you don't know how to double haul it would be worth while to take a lesson. My favorite streamer line is the SA streamer express or the Rio one that has a longer sinking section but that is for fast heavy water. Most of the time I fish streamers with a floating line I nymph 100% with a floating line. You should Google streamer and nymphing tactics do a bunch of reading before committing to expensive equipment. Or stop into a fly fishing store on a slow winter day most shops are more than willing to educate their customers.

I would put your money towards a day with a good guide. Your current setup will work fine and a guide will help you to be more successful than a new setup will. I am all for new gear, but you can shave years off the learning curve by spending time with a pro.

x2

Hi Relk19

I think your setup is fine for the bow.

Don't be disheartened by your lack of success on the Bow. It's not an easy river and last year was tough post flood.

I do think there is something to be said for better gear, but you'd get more value out of at least a half day guiding.

Just make sure that its a walk and wade session, cause you're not going to learn what you need out of a drift boat.

The 2 benefits to the guide are that

1. They are going to correct your technique and setup to make sure you are nymphing/streamer fishing correctly

2. You get to use their quality gear, so you will know if its actually the rod that is making the difference

Basically you take the gear out of the equation and focus on what it takes to catch fish.

• Like 1

That being said, not all guides are created equal (especially in Calgary where anyone and their dog can put out a shingle and call themselves a "guide").

If you go the route of hiring a guide (which I also suggest you do), do your due diligence and research someone that can actually help you out with what you are looking for!!

x2

Hi Relk19

Don't be disheartened by your lack of success on the Bow. It's not an easy river and last year was tough post flood.

I do think there is something to be said for better gear, but you'd get more value out of at least a half day guiding.

Just make sure that its a walk and wade session, cause you're not going to learn what you need out of a drift boat.

1. They are going to correct your technique and setup to make sure you are nymphing/streamer fishing correctly

2. You get to use their quality gear, so you will know if its actually the rod that is making the difference

Basically you take the gear out of the equation and focus on what it takes to catch fish.

x2

Hi Relk19

Great advice, but I would suggest you take your gear along on the Float. That way you can learn what to do with your gear and learn how to make it work for you.

Any of the shops in town also offer Beginner or Intermediate classes during the Spring/Summer months. Take a look of those courses as well; that way it is more about learning than it is about catching. With good instruction you will catch more fish in the long run...........

Also go venture out of other creeks and streams in the area. You will find that some are easier to read and figure out where the fish should be.

Thanks for the help guys. I have taken half a dozen trips out to various creeks (highwood, racehorse, etc...) and had a lot of success on the dries on those creeks, but when it comes to the bow I am stumped. I think the guide option will be the best bet, so I will be looking around for that. Thanks again!

If you're going to invest in some lessons, I would STRONGLY recommend Jim McLennan. I have now taken two of his classes and couldn't be happier about either of them.

He does have a Bow River specific class, or two, to help with figuring out our Bow River, which may not be a bad idea after the flood, to help find where the fish are at and the different techniques to use.

He also had an hour of casting instruction with each of the class members before hand to figure out any kinks in your casting.

Great instructor and great classes.

Find out all you need to here: http://www.mclennanflyfishing.com/

Keep your NXT, it's gotten you in the game and will serve you fine for the coming season. It *might* not have the backbone to distance toss a big weighted bug with an indicator on a windy day, but it should be fine for everything else.

Save your new rod money, hire a guide for a day, and take some casting lessons. Those two things will accelerate you into the world you want to be in, and will keep you there so you can only move forward.

When you hire your guide, be up front with your capabilities, and let him know you want to learn first and catch fish second. He will then know what to do, and your day will be much better. Plus, don't worry, he will be putting you on fish all he can while instructing you.

You will learn more in one day with a guide, then you would splashing about on your own for months. And don't forget, tip the guy at the end of your great day. I go 20%...but that is just me.

We are lucky, some of the best freshwater float guides in the world are right here in Calgary......Terry at Fish Tales, Dee at Iron Bow, and Copper Johnny on this board are all guys I would spend the day with, without question.

I know Terry also teaches casting, Dee I am not sure if he does, but he should, he is one of the best fly casters I have ever seen. And to echo Dhurst above, I know experienced fly fisherman who took casting lessons from Jim McLennan and came away better. Jim is a master, who will help anyone at any level get better!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jim McL is THE SH!T if you want to learn anything and everything about fly fishing. You'd also be well served to read any of his books too.

Agreed. He is an amazing, down-to-earth writer.

"Trout Streams of Alberta" is an awesome easy read, with troves of knowledge and experience. I do not think that it is in print any longer. I would lend you mine, but it is making its cycle through the friends right now. I think there are variants of the same book, "Western Trout Streams", or something of that ilk.

• Like 1