Fly Fusion Forums

3Wt Reel?

Sean84

Why are we assuming he'd only be in a cutty stream fishing 12" fish with a 3WT? (did I miss it and he actually said so?). Maybe he needs a good reel to let line out smoothly fishing for some easily spooked toads somewhere.

I guess I should have made that clear, I thought it would be obvious that the only real good thing to do with a 3wt is some good ole fasion toad huntin'.

On a side note, I ended up getting a Hardy ultralite.

There ya go! A fellow toad hunter not afraid to whip out a 3WT when it's needed. I use 5X or 4X tippet on my 3WT when toad huntin' so I can bully them on the way in after I hook them up. I just use the light rod and fly line to avoid that line splash that even the best 5wt cast will make. Of course you'll get the haters that say you can't fight fish on a 3WT as fast as a 5WT I say bull____. In fact you'd bust more fish off using the same tippet with a 5wt than you will with a 3wt, and be able to put MORE pressure on a fish during the fight because the rod tip on a 3wt will absorb a lot more of the shock. I see people gently nursing fish in on their 5wt's all the time, taking a helluva long time to land a dry fly fish. Not me buddy! I'll go toad huntin with you anytime. :)

• Like 3

well maybe a "within reason" disclaimer" should go on that! :)

Hmmmm...well at the risk of dredging up an old topic,I would argue that I can apply the same 11.9lbs of pressure to a 12lb leader with a 6wt as I can with an 8wt and with a more forgiving spine....jest sayin. ;)

Vagabond you'll get no argument from me on that. But to say that perhaps you could take a 3WT out there and apply 11.9lbs of pressure on a 12lb tippet - well I'd say you might actually snap the 3WT first. Also jest sayin' :)

EDIT: Oh, I might have misunderstood what you were saying there above. I think we're trying to say the same thing. So long as you can apply the same pressure to the fish, what's a rod size matter at all? Put the gears to the fish like you mean it! Get it in quickly for a nice release!

EDIT: Oh, I might have misunderstood what you were saying there above. I think we're trying to say the same thing. So long as you can apply the same pressure to the fish, what's a rod size matter at all? Put the gears to the fish like you mean it! Get it in quickly for a nice release!

Eggzakly! ;)

There ya go! A fellow toad hunter not afraid to whip out a 3WT when it's needed. I use 5X or 4X tippet on my 3WT when toad huntin' so I can bully them on the way in after I hook them up. I just use the light rod and fly line to avoid that line splash that even the best 5wt cast will make. Of course you'll get the haters that say you can't fight fish on a 3WT as fast as a 5WT I say bull____. In fact you'd bust more fish off using the same tippet with a 5wt than you will with a 3wt, and be able to put MORE pressure on a fish during the fight because the rod tip on a 3wt will absorb a lot more of the shock. I see people gently nursing fish in on their 5wt's all the time, taking a helluva long time to land a dry fly fish. Not me buddy! I'll go toad huntin with you anytime. :)

Yup I agree the tippet is the deciding factor on the amount of pressure you can apply without breaking off. A 3 weight will protect the tippet better than a 5 all else equal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Hardy Angel Featherweight 2/3 I use in my 3wt 7 1/2' rod. Best little reel I've ever owned. My problem is the darn reel keeps gaining in value, now I'm scared to use it ;)

That's the problem with Hardy's The longer you own them the more they seem to gain value.

IMG_0840_zps4f118cbe.jpg

Age old question $100.00 for a reel or $500.00, they both hold line, click and pawl or disc drag.

When it comes down to it it's personal choice and what you can afford. I could go out and buy high end reels if I wanted

but to me they just hold line, and the fish don't care. I have had a flyrod in my hand since I was 6 and have never spent mor than 150 on a reel.

And not because i'm cheap, because I find no need to.

My Opinion