Fly Fusion Forums

Pike Flies

Hey everyone. First time posting on the forums.

I am on the verge of going after pike for the first time on the fly and needed some recommendations on what flies to head to the water to get me started on the right foot. I live in Northern Indiana (US) and will likely be casting after the ice has lifted in the spring. I have a really nice pond/marsh that is fed by a large natural lake. This pond holds some good numbers of pike and is private so I should be the only one throwing flies at them. Any tips would be great. I got hooked up with a Sage 8100 RPL for a good deal and am working on getting a reel for it. Any suggestions on that? Not wanting to spend a fortune, but want a reel that will last. May even use it for steelheading from time to time.

Great stuff guys! Thanks a ton for the help. I was curious if it would be worth it to tie my own or just buy them since I don't anticipate going a ton, but after looking at some prices online I think I will tie them myself! Plus it is always more fun catching a nice fish on something I have tied.

Will a floating line work for most flies? Can I just get a bass bug line in case I use some big deer hairs on it in the summer months for smallies?