Fly Fusion Forums

Spending Your Xmas Bonus

DonAndersen

Lorne,

The Law has a issue with the "head" too heavy making the rotary tying a real pain. Ekich installed a weighted circle behind the bearing assembly in order to counter the problem. Further, Elich, by making his vise "head" with a less of a droop tends to off set the issue. I really like the jaw design with the hook point hidden. Sure makes errors in thread handling a lot less.

My Barracuda has the same issue with a "heavy head" causing me to screw down the preload in order to hold the head at any angle except for vertical. To that end, I machined a counter-weight of Nickel Silver, drilled a hole 1/4" OD * 3/8" deep and glued the counter-weight to the handle. I then loosened the set screw and reinstalled the handle directly above the head. The pre-load screw is then barely loaded and turning the head takes minimal effort. I also turfed out the damn silly bobbin holder and built a decent sized one.

Here is a picture of the completed modifications so far.

Further, the Petitjean vise seems to come the closest to dealing the the "heavy" head issue.

post-206-0-40995500-1388342881_thumb.jpg

Further, the length from the stem to the hook is quite short which helps a lot. Here is a site that offers the vise for sale. I think that it is also available in Calgary shops.http://www.petitjean.com/shop/fly-tying-vise/master-version.html

regards,

Don

post-206-0-80030200-1388342205_thumb.jpg

Never had a problem with the rotary function on my Law, really enjoy tying on it as it really fits my hands and doesn't get in the way, I seldom need to spin my vice head at high speed, just use it in regular rotary function to wind on silk, hackle, tinsel etc.. Again just my style I guess, everyone ties different. I do prefer bottom loaded vices as they always fall up-right, not a negative in my opinion. For high speed rotary used my Nor for years, a really nice balanced vice (one of the best high speed rotary), but for me it really it just shines on flies in the round like buggers and intruders. Lots of beautiful vices out there to play with. I fooled around with a Swiss-Vice last year when I did a tying demo in BC. Beautifully made and extremely adjustable but rather techno looking. Wasatch J Vice is a really nice vice also, never owned one but have used one for a bit and liked it.

So may vices and so little funds. Mind you every so often I haul out my old 1960's Universal Rotary, a cool old vice that I tied on for almost 20 years. When lubed properly it spins wonderfully, not as smooth as the Nor but very respectable. Mind you I really also like the classic Regal, non-rotary but a solid hook holder and comfy to tie on. I think what attracts me the most to a vice these days is one that I can tie on for hours and not feel uncomfortable on.

Lorne,

Looks like you and I have tried a pile of vises over the years. The only 2 that have stuck are the HMH that I bought in the early 70's and the Barracuda acquired about 10 years ago. The other I've donated to kids tying clubs.

Unlike you, I like the head to be placed anywhere in a 360 circle and stay put. Seems to make it easier to place materials here and there. I had a tough time when the head moved all over the place readily. A light pre-load on the head slower this down and placing a counter weight opposite the head really helped for me.

What I really like is the pile of various styles out there for the tier. Sure beats the devil outta the tiny selection when I started tying over 50 years ago.

Regards,

Don