Fly Fusion Forums

Wondering If Their Is A Do-It-All Spey Rod?

maddog

There are folks that fish a 7wt exclusively in that region and do well, an 8 wt would be a good compromise if you are only targeting Steelhead and the smaller salmon species, if you want to chase steelhead and the big boys (springs) then a 9wt would probably be a good idea. With the Expo coming up at the end of January there will be plenty of Spey rods and lines to try out.

Colin

A 7 weight would be plenty unless selectively targeting certain rivers in that area, and yes it will throw all the tips you need. Considering you said the 7126, i'd guess you're looking at a TCX, which I have used intensively in that area. I've thrown 15 feet of T14 on my TCX easily..

A nine weight as a starter is a poor recommendation. I have a 9143 Z-Axis that doesn't come out of the tube unless I get to the Thompson (AND it's windy). In comparison, i've brought two 7126 TCX's to over 60 days of steelheading in the Skeena region in the last 2 years (and the 9143 sits glaring at me), one fishing a skagit and one fishing a dry line..

If you think you'll be throwing some heavier tips, a 8 weight would cover it a little better then a 7, however don't feel you'll be undergunned if you have a certain 7 in mind.

As a first and a one-and-only rod, a 8 weight would probably cover ALL steelhead bases a bit better. A 8 weight between 12'6 and 13'6 would cover pretty well all situations in Skeena country.

One note, the TCX is not a beginner rod. It's a rocket launcher when you're dialed in timing, but it will not deal with small casting issues as well as a slower rod

As a first and a one-and-only rod, a 8 weight would probably cover ALL steelhead bases a bit better. A 8 weight between 12'6 and 13'6 would cover pretty well all situations in Skeena country.

Totally agree. There are plenty of great 8 wt's in the 12 to just under 14' range that I think are ideal for the Skeena system, and available in all price ranges. The Death Star (TCX 7126) is a great rod and I think more of an 8wt than a 7. If you have the budget and want a great all-round rod that you won't out grow, will throw heavy tips and big flies, a mid belly and traditionals, look at a Burkheimer 8134...absolute beauty of a rod.

A true 7wt can be too light, and a true 9wt too heavy. A rod that throws a skagit in the 540 - 570gr range is what I'd say is ideal to be able to throw any tip and fly combo for the conditions you might face in that region.

The TCX is one hell of a fly rod, (I'd be hard pressed to find a better selling spey rod in the last 4 years)tI wouldn't be afraid to pick one up, especially discounted. It may just take a little longer to cast it well. If you go straight to skagit casting, as most do, the learning curve is a pretty quick one.

• 2 weeks later...