Fly Fusion Forums

Ob Jet Winterization

Hey all,

Anyone have any recommendations shop wise for boat winterization? The jet is a Yamaha.

Is winterization something that I can do by myself? Not incredibly mechanically inclined.

Any ideas about ballpark cost?

Cheers.

Having a jet now for 20 years this is what I do,

First,I drink a beer then complain a little about the little nicks in the paint from split shot hitting it on bad casts.Take a little wax and buff the paint a little.While you have the cover off check the oil and look for any sign of leaks,if 2 stroke then just drink another beer.Secondly shoot some new grease into the output bearing and have a look at the intake while your down there,again complain about the dings that you see on the intake from floating into shallow water that you were suppose to be notified of because you cant see while you row.At this point I usually go pee,your mileage may vary.Lastly I put the cover back on and drink another beer.

I think I covered it all,you may want to do it in a different order or what ever suits you.

• Like 2

I pull spark plugs and fire a shot of fogging oil into each hole, put plugs back in so motor is " fogged " for the season.

I also disconnect fuel line @ boat launch and let motor die to burn the last of the gas out of it for the season.

I had a Johnson 2 stroke that this worked on for years, never a problem.

I now have a evinrude etec that self winterizes when I run it through that mode, yes fancy.

Apart from fuel stabilizer in the tanks not much to do.

I'm sure auto marine or Internet would tell you anything specific for a yammy.

Ya theres not much you need to do,you got 4 or 2 stroke?2 stroke I'd clean the gas out.4 stroke you can leave it awhile see how winter goes, I usually get a chance to get out a few more times before the end of the year.But with Police all effed up not sure that's gonna happen.

Just give the bearing a shot of grease to get rid of any water,Outboards are self draining when you trim them all the way down and since theres no gear box theres nothing to do.

If its 4 stroke you can dump the gas into your truck around Christmas if its been un used.Dump some fresh stuff in,start it for 30 seconds on a warm day and your good till March when we can get out again.