Fly Fusion Forums

Well at this time, i have NO desire to do any walk and wades, so.....time to fix some leaky waders. I have about 3 pairs that all leak unfortunately, but are also all still in good condition. I have one pair of neoprene that are leaking, and 2 pairs of summer waders that also leak. I have never attempted to repair, (replace them with new ones), but i think it is time to fix them for spares and for extra pairs when someone needs them. My question is; what is the best tried and true method of fixing leaks? Any helpful advise is most appreciated!

thanks

Cgyguy

For neoprenes. Aquaseal is perfect. For small holes, clean the wader area with alcohol and apply directly on. Bigger tears require taping the back and keeping the seam level. It works very well. I fished the entire season on waders that are ready to be junked. Just kept repairing them.

Well at this time, i have NO desire to do any walk and wades, so.....time to fix some leaky waders. I have about 3 pairs that all leak unfortunately, but are also all still in good condition. I have one pair of neoprene that are leaking, and 2 pairs of summer waders that also leak. I have never attempted to repair, (replace them with new ones), but i think it is time to fix them for spares and for extra pairs when someone needs them. My question is; what is the best tried and true method of fixing leaks? Any helpful advise is most appreciated!

thanks

Cgyguy

Sometimes a flashlight run up & down the seems from the inside works, of course do this in a dark room and light will shine through any pinholes.

Aqua seal both sides.

• Like 1

spray with isopropyl alchohol - the leaks show - as per the simms video above

only issue is if you have a leak in the neoprene booty.

then the only solution is a full fledged booty call.

lol

• Like 1

Look down the legs in a well lit room, you can generally see light coming through the holes (especially in non-neoprene waders). Goop is another perfectly reliable glue for repairs. For non-neoprene (neoprene holds together just fine) and larger rips/ tears, use a piece of duct tape on the inside of your boots to pull the material together, goop then let dry. Next day remove tape and goop the inside so both sides are adequately sealed (as already mentioned). Works really well and prolongs patches as with goop or aquaseal the glue can begin to peel over time due to sun/ rubbing/ use in general. I find myself going through 2-3 pairs of waders a year and find looking for light to be just as effective as the filling with water trick (takes way less time this way too). If repairing the older style non-breathables rough up the area around the hole with fine sandpaper first as well, the glue will stick way better. Breathables are generally too thin to risk sand paper.

When you find the leak, I HIGHLY recommend thinning the Aquaseal or Goop with toluene. I will never do it any other way again. When you use it full strength, you always have to worry about it running, it takes 8 hrs to dry, it look globby and its just a general pain. When you thin it, about 2 parts aquaseal to one part toluene, you can brush it on and it will soak right in and dry to tacky in about an hour. Sometimes, it soaks in so much, you can't tell where you put it but you know its there, because you just put it there. Deep penetration. You then add another coat or two.

You have to make sure, like mixing epoxy, that you mix it very well. I have small cups for mixing epoxy when making rods and those worked perfect. When it dries, you can peel the aqualseal off and use it over.

I picked up a huge can of toluene at Home Depot. I wish they sold it in smaller quantity. Its harmful, so wear a mask. When you smell it, you will recognize it. Smells like Head cement. Cheap small bushes, also picked up a Home Depot.

This year, I turned my waders inside out (always do it inside out, looks better) and covered all the seams in the booties, including the ring around the leg where it joins (powder it or make darn sure its really dry before turning back in because it will stick together). It took about two tubes of Aquaseal but those puppies are bone dry now. Well worth the effort.

• Like 1