Fly Fusion Forums

Falling In The River!

Of my 22 years fly fishing here in Alberta I have never fallen in over my waders......................until last week in which it happened twice. I havnt been out since and to be honest Ive felt a little un-nerved about the whole thing, been thinking about it a lot. Not to mention I did hurt myself the second time.

Im one of the older parents on the team :) (44) looking back at when I was in my early twenties I wouldve have gone anywhere or done anything to catch a fish, now I get in up to my knees and Im like "thats good enough" Anyways with the cold temps coming and winter on its way be careful out there folks! Ive never considered the word "danger" while fishing until this past week.

BF

BigFoamy or Best Friends, whatever you want!!

• Like 1

Yup just about was in over my waders a week ago. Was a close call and cold outside. Use caution when wading, bring a wading stick to not only check for solid ground, but to aid in balance while wading. Be cautious when standing on rock or other slippery surfaces. My almost fall in happened when setting a hook and moving to a place to net the fish, the surface I was standing on got wet and in the cold weather the thin skim on water froze creating an icy surface. With winter right around the corner, be aware of ice chunks flowing down the Bow, they can take you out pretty quickly.

I'm going to chime in as a resident noob having only taken up fly fishing this year. I'm more of a 'up to my knees' kind of guy, but I've often wondered if I've mentally prepared myself for a fall or taking a plunge.

When I'm up on the Oldman I'm always wearing my wading belt, but I'll admit I rarely wear it on the Bow. What are some best practices when getting water above your waders? What's the right action to keep yourself from ending up on the news? Obviously an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure, but accidents still happen.

Best advice gets my stereo when disaster inevitably strikes.

I'm going to chime in as a resident noob having only taken up fly fishing this year. I'm more of a 'up to my knees' kind of guy, but I've often wondered if I've mentally prepared myself for a fall or taking a plunge.

When I'm up on the Oldman I'm always wearing my wading belt, but I'll admit I rarely wear it on the Bow. What are some best practices when getting water above your waders? What's the right action to keep yourself from ending up on the news? Obviously an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure, but accidents still happen.

Hope to get lucky :) I always carry a lock blade in my wader pouch incase I have to go under and start cutting. Definitely going to get a walking stick/wading staff, never used one before but going to start! Ive never considered an inflatable vest before now either, prolly the safest bet, I would think.

I've gone in a few times, see no need to cut your waders as I think it would water log you and act as a sea anchor putting you in more danger. I went in once after getting swept off my feet getting hit by an underwater log moving under the surface. Went into about 8 feet of water. After the initial shock I found I was floating high very nicely with my legs up. Must have traveled 200 yards before I hit a shallow stretch that I could stand up in. An inflatable west is a good Idea on big waters.

if anyone has a fear of falling into a river and not knowing what to do ...I would look into a basic swift water rescue course !

inflatable vests are great for still water but not rated for moving water .

I would rather carry a throw bag or wear a life jacket than a inflatable vest .

this is a great vest for fishing on rivers http://www.nrs.com/product/21501/nrs-chinook-mesh-back-fishing-pfd

I agree. I am much more careful nowadays. I have gone in the river a few times, but my big fear is hurting my knees. I hurt my ankle this year but it is manageable. So many people have hurt themselves on those greasy rocks. As for winter fishing, I no longer do this because of the dangers involved, as well as the slow angling success.

• Like 1

always wear your belt. You have been witness to me taking a dive this summer. Had the belt on and limited water in the boots. Lots of water in the upper regions. Best practice is just not fall in. But that sometimes is easier said then done.

Don't ever go in without a belt.

Pick a spot on shore that is easily found when the light has faded so you have a safe return.

Keep facing upstream and don't cross your legs.

Don't cross just upstream of logjams etc.

Plan for a fall and hope for the best.