Fly Fusion Forums

1/2 Million Giant Blue Ring?

As a visitor to calgary the 1% of budget for art is an interesting concept.

I have only seen a picture of "the ring", but agree, it does seem pretty ordinary and could have been better spent.

I like art, but what seems to pass for art these days confuses me.

Usually these pointless "art" works end up with some funny nickname.

I can only imagine what that big blue ring will conjure up!

That said, I do love the brown and rainbow trout along Glenmore trail though!

Confirmed for me that i moved to the right provence.

(I did see a photo of this mural painted on a building in Poland i think which is pretty creative)

post-4197-0-53991400-1381349849_thumb.jpg

Money was spent way before the flood.

But in my mind its a silly piece of art and could have been done for the price of some scrap pipe, a couple of six packs of beer for the benders, and a few cans of spray paint. I bet the artist is laughing at every Calgarian right now.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion. According to the Herald article, only a few of the 55 applicants who responded to the application were local. The panel was made up of five citizens. In my opinion, if folks are tired of seeing the money go to folks from out of town, they should encourage their fellow Calgarians to participate in the process rather than complain about it.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion. According to the Herald article, only a few of the 55 applicants who responded to the application were local. The panel was made up of five citizens. In my opinion, if folks are tired of seeing the money go to folks from out of town, they should encourage their fellow Calgarians to participate in the process rather than complain about it.

I agree with this as well, I would also like to see the profiles of who the panel that voted on this consisted of. All that is known is they are Citizens.

At least the bridge looks like something half decent when it was done, still not happy about 25mil. That ring is an eye sore, even worse when they add the stubby light structure on too of it. Very poor policy to spend 1% on 'art'.

Must admit, I kind of like the mountains on the retaining walls of the ring road and the fish on glenmore trail, that's not a bad use of 1% if you've gotta spend it, still crazy though!

If you asked the artist they'd probably say something like "the blue represents the prairie sky, and the ring represents the close knit community feeling of the city". To me, it looks like Paul Bunyan's c*%k ring with a tickler on top. So much for art.

• Like 2

So in terms of 'why not local'. I think it's kind of like saying, why do we bring in all these world-renowned musicians/bands (who are also artists) like Zack Brown, Metallica, whomever, when you could spend that money on local artists. I know it's not exactly apples to apples comparison because those guys are in town for a short time, and public artwork is typically is around much longer.

I do have an Art degree and I gotta say I don't get the Blue Ring either....looking forward to some witty nicknames for it....

Great use of tax dollars right there. If no one wants to help pay for an art display that may be an indication it's a dumb idea. Almost half a million bucks though, that's the really nutty part... I'm sure you could have given some local welders some scrap metal and a few cases of beer and come up with something much more appealing.

• Like 1

Great use of tax dollars right there. If no one wants to help pay for an art display that may be an indication it's a dumb idea. Almost half a million bucks though, that's the really nutty part... I'm sure you could have given some local welders some scrap metal and a few cases of beer and come up with something much more appealing.

Challenge accepted.

I think that its great that they put it up. I haven't seen it in person so I don't have an informed opinion at this time, probably will go look at it at some point. I recall when the fish were put up on Glenmore there was quite an uproar. Art isn't supposed to have a purpose, its art and is supposed to cause an emotional response. Seems to me that this piece is doing just that.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that its great that they put it up. I haven't seen it in person so I don't have an informed opinion at this time, probably will go look at it at some point. I recall when the fish were put up on Glenmore there was quite an uproar. Art isn't supposed to have a purpose, its art and is supposed to cause an emotional response. Seems to me that this piece is doing just that.

The fish on Glenmore trail have an emotional response. They make ME damn proud.

although i support the 1% on 'art' or making stuff look pertty - see the fish embossed on the sides of glenmore tr. as an good example - that one's gonna be a shining example of a process gone horribly wrong. it's a giant Calgary-ego-sized embarrassment.