Fly Fusion Forums

Not Good

fishpro

What a pathetic display of fish handling!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=191929

http://imgur.com/1Rcq5XP

The sad thing is that over on that board, posts such as these are completely acceptable and allowed, however you are not allowed to stand up for the resource and make a comment when poor fish handling is displayed. As you will see in that thread, one user was actually suspended for commenting on it. This is a new rule on the board!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=191020

Forums should be about helping a resource, not abusing it.

• Like 2

if you really want to push it , call the F&W guys and request them to look into it , the rules are broken in the way he is handling that fish , you have to release the fish asap without harm , that picture is enough for them to lay charges ,

holding onto it by the gill like a bass for a picture is not cool in my books ,

just send them the link and picture, thats all you have to do ,

If you actually want to help and educate there is a better way.

Praise in public, punish in private.

That forum is probably 100 times the size of this reaching a much broader audience. Hundreds of people came to the same conclusion as you. Moaning on this forum about people on the other is of no benefit to anyone. Sending the guy a polite pm would do a world of good and he would appreciate that .

When telling a story details are very important. The guy holding the bully was the father of the poster who acknowledged his fathers mis step and I would bet he mentioned it to his dad in PRIVATE too. His father is negligent and doing the fish no good for sure but i will be more optimistic and think he just does not know better. Punish in Private.

"The sad thing is that over on that board, posts such as these are completely acceptable and allowed, however you are not allowed to stand up for the resource and make a comment when poor fish handling is displayed. As you will see in that thread, one user was actually suspended for commenting on it. This is a new rule on the board!"

The reason for this is so people do not completely cease posting pictures. If they stop posting pics the opportunity to educate is lost. The son who posted and many others like him would rather learn through Pms than public chastising by well intended people. Maybe the traffic on this forum would not be so dismal if more was done here to encourage posting from the less experienced flyfishers than inevitably will replace the old socks tramping currently.

You do realize most of the people on here are on the other forum and it is growing fast. If you are so aghast at that rule on that board why are you wasting your time over there supporting it?

Words of wisdom- Every time you point your finger at someone, there are three fingers pointing at you.

• Like 2

I'm not speaking directly to the poster but to this topic in general. Its funny how many fisherman make a big stink online but aren't the type to actually help someone new to fishing learn the ropes/ better technique afield. I watched 2 "pro's" (typical snobs, didn't say hello, or ask how the day was going, or acknowledge anyone as they go by) walk right by a young fellow who was obviously new the fly fishing on the crow. I eventually caught up with the guy as he was trying to unhook a fish that was doing a fair bit of flopping in the mud/ rocks. I had a short discussion, shared a few flies, and had the opportunity to suggest he may want to try a landing net next time as the fish are easier to revive when kept in the water. If you approach these sort of situations delicately (with respect) you can greatly benefit the resource. It may cost a few dozen flies over the season but its a lot more effective than assuming everyone new to fishing will have a high level of fish handling knowledge right off the start. I feel this sort of "guidance" will do a lot more long term good than internet complaining, but that's just my 2 cents. Try it out next time you see poor fish handling, I have yet to experience any aggression/ negativity when I approach other fisherman in this manner.

• Like 2

What a pathetic display of fish handling!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=191929

http://imgur.com/1Rcq5XP

The sad thing is that over on that board, posts such as these are completely acceptable and allowed, however you are not allowed to stand up for the resource and make a comment when poor fish handling is displayed. As you will see in that thread, one user was actually suspended for commenting on it. This is a new rule on the board!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=191020

Forums should be about helping a resource, not abusing it.

Grrr...I try not to let the internet anger me. This is the exact behaviour that messageboards can educate users on.

How about not being IGNORANT and learning the rules BEFORE you fish. The user of the resource has a responsibility to know the regulations that's why officers don't hand out free flies and give fishing tips. FInes are what are deserved by those who abuse the resource. I totally agree with taking the time with and angler on the bank for friendly advice, teaching and help to those not breaking any rules however; when it comes to breaking rules that are printed out in black and white in the regulations we should all have zero tolerance.

How about not being IGNORANT and learning the rules BEFORE you fish. The user of the resource has a responsibility to know the regulations that's why officers don't hand out free flies and give fishing tips. FInes are what are deserved by those who abuse the resource. I totally agree with taking the time with and angler on the bank for friendly advice, teaching and help to those not breaking any rules however; when it comes to breaking rules that are printed out in black and white in the regulations we should all have zero tolerance.

X 2 ,

and very well said

you just can't fix stupid , plain and simple fact ,

it reminds me of the time the guy from texas i think he was here visiting , and asking for help on spots to go fish and any tips , everyone stepped up and gave him help , next thing you see him with pictures holding a 28 inch brown by the gill plate like a big old large mouth bass , one picture showed the fish on its side in the water and it's gill plate was stuck open to the side, no way in hell that fish lived ,

maybe look the other way if it's a young kid , but as far as i'm concern , if it's a grown adult being stupid like that , he deserves a fine ,

• Like 1

If you actually want to help and educate there is a better way.

Praise in public, punish in private.

This is a great pedagogical approach to most issues. The one failure to this approach in this situation is that it does not allow others to learn from someone's mistakes.

• Like 1

Commenting on the fish handling techniques of others can be a tricky thing. I agree that one must educate others and the holding showed in that picture is not good. Some people take the criticism constructively and learn, others will get offended and shrug it off. You need to be able to educate without making them feel like a donkey. I think if you notice poor handling techniques you must first discuss through a PM, congratulate on the catch first, then mention that it might be better to do things a certain way. Do not chastisize or put down, as that will not teach anyone anything. If the individual takes the pointers well and thanks you for it, you can then ask if it is ok to put out in public what is wrong and what to do next time. Or you can find a random picture on the internet, crop out any faces, and use the picture as a example of poor handling and start a new thread discussing it.

There is always a way to educate without making someone feel horrible. If your kind and respectful your pointers will be taken a lot better and the individual will be better for it.

• Like 1

This is a great pedagogical approach to most issues. The one failure to this approach in this situation is that it does not allow others to learn from someone's mistakes.

I completely agree. If we can't post on it and can only send a pm to educate the poster, how many people will see such a post and learn bad habits from it? I am going to message a moderator on that board.

• Like 2

I agree with you, but the last post is of a moderator who says nice fish or something like that. I am not a member on that board, but if I was I would post on that topic and take the risk of getting banned...

I did the exact same thing this morning. I was disgusted by that pic and the story and joined the Fish Bonker Forum to let them know exactly how I felt. I also wanted to see just how long it would take for me to get banned. Not long after I posted I started getting hate replies and soon after that received a lifetime ban. No sweat off my balls, I can't stand that forum.

• Like 3

How Pathetic Fishpro-

You slam the other forum from this site then put up a post on that forum today kissing butt for a job? WOW !

See.

Calling people on their shullbit is good for the soul. And should never ever be frowned upon.

• Like 1

Yikes!!! No one’s ever hung me up like that; it looks like it hurts – a lot! I hope my friend had a chance to spawn before that happened.

Here’s what we like: cradle us with one hand under our pectoral fins and one by our bums staying away from our eyes, gills and bellies. This is especially important when we get bigger. When you take us out of the water, it feels like we weigh a million pounds and we can’t breath – at all! Unlike you guys with lungs and air, we can’t hold a bunch of water in our mouths to get by for a minute or two so please don’t do that one!

• Like 2