Fly Fusion Forums

Gold From The Highwood River Flood

My daughter found a black igneous rock with some soft gold flakey material in it last Sunday. The rock was found near the flooded river bank of the Highwood River in the Kananaskis Valley. Is it real or is it Pyrite (fool's gold)? Another question is did we actually find some gold from the legendary Lost Lemon Mine?

Just a brief history of the gold rush fever in 1870, particularly the southwestern foothills of Alberta. It had its share of pioneer stories of half-crazed gold hunters, the most sensational being the legend of the Lost Lemon Mine: a tale of discovery, murder and madness involving two prospectors named Lemon and Blackjack.

According to Senator Dan Riley who was mayor of the Town of High River in 1906 - legend has it that Lemon & Blackjack found a huge seam of gold in the Kananaskis Mountains in 1870 but got into a violent argument, ending with Lemon splitting his partner's head open with an axe in the middle of the night. The gold was never recovered nor mined, and to this day, the story of the Lost Lemon Mine is veiled in mystery, but still generating ongoing camp fire theories and debate.

We are going to get the rock inspected by a geologist friend and see if it is real or not. Stay tuned!

post-2837-0-46041500-1378659258_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hard to tell from the picture as it's kind of small, but is there any oxidization on the rock? When exposed pyrite typically is associated with a lot of rust from oxidization. See attached picture for oxidized pyrite at the Devonian/Mississippian unconformity.

Also, does the portion of the rock in question have distinct crystal faces? Like is it square, octahedral, etc? That's a distinguishing feature of pyrite if so.

A couple of other things you can try: Try scratching it with a knife, gold will scratch, pyrite will not; When you scratch it if you smell a sulfur odor (rotten eggs) when you put your nose right up to the rock, it's pyrite.

Love the history lesson though!!

post-4658-0-50125200-1378687955_thumb.jpg

Well we had the rock examined and in fact it is pyrite. My daughter was disappointed but we did learn a lot about southwestern Alberta history during the gold rush period.

There are still several individuals currently looking for the Lost Lemon Mine and we hope that someone is lucky enough to find it.

Cheers.