Fly Fusion Forums

Waders With Or Without Socks?

Muffin

Hello everyone just thought I would ask what everyone wears inside waders with a neoprene sock foot?

I have been going without socks for most of the summer if it is warm and I think I may have discovered a flaw with this.

The problem I just found with this is that when I took my feet out they smelt somewhere between the dumpster outside a red lobster on a hot summer day and a bag of unopened hockey gear.

I figure any sweat from a sunny day just sits in there as the material is of course waterproof. I am aware that the possibility is that my feet are just really gross or something and maybe it is just me. If not though I am curious of other peoples experiences.

Last night to clean them I pulled them inside out and let them soak in some dishsoap and rinsed them off. I am either going to wear socks all the time going forward or put some baby powder or maybe just turn them inside out to dry.

With all that being said here are my questions/requests personal experiences.

1. Do people always wear socks or go bare foot? Do they add something like talc or baby powder?

2. If they don't wear socks do you clean the insides of the neoprene portion?

3. If so, how?

Thanks for any experiences people are willing to share.

Haha I wish I would have posted this before I went all summer sockless. You are correct I am no longer welcome in carpools and it is gross.

Now I just hope I can remove the evil spirit that has inhabited the bottom end of my waders.

Thanks for the tip on the talc/baby powder. Time to go and purchase some new socks as I have a big weekend on the Elk ahead of me.

once that spirit is there..it'll never come out..

reason #131 for never buying used waders...

Haha damn well I got a few more things to try to help but ya I imagine it will be tough without destroying the boot.

Pure Bleach for the win.

Just looking around a bit given the advantages of socks in waders (No Evil Spirits). Are people running pretty generic socks or any specific brands/recommendations?

Thanks again. Trying to keep friends and maybe even some day a girlfriend.

depends on the weather. Typically i'm only wearing waders if its spring or late fall here, so cold water, or steelheading. The simms exstreams are the best socks i've tried for cold weather (november in northern BC cold..). I like the patagonia socks, however i tend to shrink them as i suck at laundry..

Ya I saw some Simms socks Liners and wooly (warm) in the same pack. I figure I will grab a couple pairs of them.

The socks I manage to get through with laundry (at least one anyway) but that is about all I can handle.

Thanks bcube.

When wading I always wear the Redhead wool socks in my boots, great for the winter,spring and fall cold water and bearable during the summer floats...best part is the lifetime warranty, every year I take the holy, stinky pair into BassPro, throw them on the customer care counter from a distance and grab a new pair...no receipt neccesary...

• Like 1

I usually wear a medium to light weight wool sock, usually Merino because it will wick moisture well and has natural antibacterial qualities. I do have Patagonia waders with the merino-lined neoprene bootie, wondering if I could go sockless in those. I would definately wet-wade if I was out during the day, but if you're staying past sundown, it gets cool pretty quick these days.

Always sox, easier on the feet, I also use an order fighting foot spray, every second trip. Helps keep things fresh and the wife happy. Wash waders inside and out between trips. Dry inside out, extends the life, an extra pair of sox is hand if your are hiking all day. A change of sox half way and your tootsies will lover you.