Fly Fusion Forums

Large Arbor Reel...

The line pickup rate it definitely worth it. I was fishing a very large arbour reel for steelhead this past week and there were times that a fish would come at me that even with running backwards and reeling like mad I barely kept the tension on, the large arbour definitely made a difference!

For almost all the fishing you will do with a 5/6 wt in AB, you could go either way without feeling like you made a bad decision.

While the retrieve rate is faster on a LA, it does not compare to to stripping rate. How many times do you think the retrieve rate will be fast enough to avoid stripping in line?

The real advantage I see to LA is that the spool diameter is about the same on an empty spool to a full spool, so drag pressure is similar over a long run. But how many times do you go deep into your backing with a 5wt?

There are some great deals to be had on high quality standard arbor reels out there, because most of the market is buying LA.