Fly Fusion Forums

Hidden Creek Event - August 10Th, 2013

Sure, go ahead and share them

Thank-you Avid Angler.

Guys, as we've repeatedly said, we must do more than bitch about it here.

Strongly worded email and hand-written letter to the minister, cc'd to the minister and premier to follow. Wouldn't hurt to phone either.

Anyone else?

Smitty

The minister should step down for her involvement in the decision to open this area up. Her supervisor should be questioned why someone with as little experience in the realm of environmental issues was chosen for this position. I have contacted the DFO to raise awareness to the issue so charges can be laid against all involved. Letters have been sent asking the minister to step down. Please take action.

• Like 1

The following has been sent to my MLA, the minister of ESRD, and the one who appointed her Allison Redford.

Attached is a picture taken on Saturday August 10, 2013 at the confluence of Hidden Creek and the Oldman River. What you see is some very contaminated/mud filled water flowing into the Oldman River from Hidden Creek. If you refer back to your past emails, I and many other concerned citizens sent you concerns over the logging rights given to Spray Lakes Sawmill to log in the Hidden Creek Valley. Concerns were raised over road access ,slopes of the logged areas, and how it this development will cause water quality issues in the basin area. In the ultimate wisdom of the minister the deal to log was signed off on and here we are a few months later. Parts of the lease and access road have slumped into the creek, destroying the water quality and one of the last untouched spawning habitats of Alberta's provincial fish. I pray that you, your supervisor, and Spray Lakes sawmill will be held accountable for your greed and lack of foresight in this disaster. Diana McQueen please step down as the minister of the ESRD before anymore of your uneducated and unqualified decisions put Alberta wild lands at risk.

Jason Doucette

President and Founder

North Central Alberta Fly-Fishing.

• Like 2

I rubbed my nose raw trying to find my way home this year, but this weekend was the worst! You know, I haven’t seen some of my buddies since the flood and at this rate I don’t know if I ever will again. We got the stuffing knocked out of us in the flood and we really need your help now if we’re gonna make it through this.

I finally made it up above Hidden Creek the other day and what do I find when I get there?

p8150940.jpg?w=730

Quads in the River!!! This is the second one spinning its wheels in my bedroom! See the dirt trail from the first one?

I came up here hoping there may be a spot where we could spawn and, some of the water looks pretty good, but these guys have got to get out of the river! Our eggs are so delicate that we really need the water to stay clean all fall and winter to give our babies any chance at all. It takes so little sediment to suffocate an egg and if one of these guys actually hits a redd, gasp! I don’t even want to think about it.

Come on gang, please help! I know the rain wasn’t your fault, but the rest of it…

It didn’t have to be this bad.

Guys,

Avid removed the pictures for reasons unknown.

So, the world needs some pictures of Hidden and the Oldman confluence if anything is going to be done about the issue.

So how about one of you take some pictures and post them here - please.

Regards,

Don

Email forwarded from The Sawmill, they say the sediment came from the South undisturbed face of the creek, I have been advised differently.

If you see quads in any river or creek take pics and send ABENV they will charged if there is evidence and proof of identity.

I shared the photos will try and see if I can post but difficult from mobile.

Folks,

We have no idea why AvidAngler removed the pictures.

Any number of reasons could apply.

BUT

As he did, several thoughts occurred to me:

1] If he used his employees system to upload the pictures - he may be forced to remove them. But they still lurk out their & his employer is not happy!

2] Maybe he had the wrong creek and realized his error. Happens.

3] He may work for either the Govt or Spray which would caused problems.

SO

What should happen is independent verification that this issue is real with pictures taken of the slumping bank + upstream and downstream views of the effected area. If the bank issue is not of man's making, guess we thank those in charge of this green ball for screwing up another fish species.

regards,

Don

• Like 1

I have sent pictures of quads in the middle of prairie creek to Dianna McQueen twice and was told to call the local enforcement so they can catch in the act. Apparently the "law" states they can cross anywhere....just can't drive up and down. Not much of a law and unenforceable without agents in the field. They need officers on atv in the woods IMHO (or put real laws in place).