Fly Fusion Forums

Bugs And Flooding (Omr Area)

bigalcal

I've been fishing every week in the Oldman River Area (Livingstone, Racehorse etc) and the usual hatches aren't coming off. Not many PMD's, Green Drakes. BWO's that I usually see up to this time of year. It could just be timing and the crazy weather but I see very few rising fish compared to other years. Any theories?

I think it might just be that all of the alders and riverside vegetation got a good scrubbing with the floods. This weekend there was a decent hatch of pmd's but no body was too interested in em. Same story as the bow perhaps?

Lots of rocks got pushed around, definitely some bugs would have been washed away... Pmds on the bow are like 3 weeks late, caddis are minimal and the tricos are no-shows for now. Some of the bow river bugs like a bit of silt (e.g., tricos) which there isn't a heck of a lot of anymore. Then again, we had tricos last year well into Sept.

Not a big surprise when you see the amount of rocks and gravel that was moved.

Also have to say that the water (on the Bow anyway) is not overly conducive to rising fish at the current levels. When it drops to 120 (and stays there...cough cough) we'll see more rising fish. There is a hell of a lot of water for fish to get up into rising zones. Not that they're obsolete (stuck one on saturday on a pmd), but they are few and far between..

The seaweed seems to be at a lower concentration in the bow than years past as well... Just hope there s a good spawn in the spring and fall(browns).... Worth taking extra care to avoid reds this year...