Fly Fusion Forums

Red Deer River Goldeye

I am about to break all the messagboarding rules.

My best friend will be in Alberta for a whole week---no kids, no wife. We have 5/7 days of fishing planned. The only time not allocated is when we are in Red Deer. I grew up fishing the RDR, but I have never fished for Goldeye within city limits (I usually went downstream to Burbank). I never fly fished for them. Most people think that they are great time.

So...<ahem>...here it goes...

Where is a good spot to fish for Goldeye within the Red Deer city limits?

What is the best time of day?

What flies should I use?

I feel dirty. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Be gentle on me, FFC.

I used to fish the RDR for goldeye strictly with dry's(humpys, hoppers, stimulators etc.) but since going with hopper/dropper setup I catch twice as many. Goldeye are not very particular(not like trout) ...I usually use a chernobyl ant with a prince nymph or hares ear dropper. If they do not take it dead drift then start dragging it across the water and they will chase the ant across the water and nail it.

Anywhere that looks trouty should hold goldeye and the later it gets the more they spread out...I have been standing in water knee deep and in the evening they would be rising all around me even between me and the shore.

They will bite all day but it is always the best in the evening.

What the above said. Here's a map. Red is the sides and water to fish. Once you look at the water, it becomes obvious, quickly, what kind of water goldeye prefer on the RDR. Yellow is the access points (ish). You will catch fish if you fish the most likely goldeye trough water. Have fun!

rdrge.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Sneaky

on the nsr, i just pound on em with black clousers. You catch as many goldeye as you want, along with a boat load of walleye and the odd pike.