Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Rod For The Bow

fishpro

I like to use a 6/7 and or 7/8 that will toss big nasties...My 6/7 throws a 22.5' 525 grain with medium MOW tips and covers most of my big bugs... However when I'm into tossing dead chickens I'll use the 7/8 with a 25.5' 575 grain with heavy MOW's

These fish aren't steelhead- 7/8 weight is waaayyy overkill for the poor trout in the Bow. Silver Doctors 4/5 weight Meiser sounds like just the ticket.

Agreed.

I'm using a 6/7 Beulah but it's the only DH I own.Great for huckn Dungeons,dumbells,coneheads and stuff halfway across the river,but its overkill for any trout that swims the Bow IMHO.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone!! I ended up getting a killer deal on a 12'6" 6wt Z Axis. Might be at the heavy end of what's needed, but should be good for getting some big streamer rigs out there.

Your new Z-axis will be fine, now the fun begins. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE my Meiser 5/6. Dutchie recommended I look at the the Bow River special 12'6" and I am and was NOT disapointed. Now for a few lessons more from Toolman and maybe hire Dutchie for a day learning as well, I will be in good order!

Tight lines

Ralph aka Cgyguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Although I have never fished the Bow river yet, I would bring my Beulah Platinum Spey 5wt 11'7" with 300 scandi and 300 rage compact with 10ft of versi leaders for it.

I have the exact same setup and it's my #1 go-to for the Bow...swingn soft hackles. ;)

Love swinging those soft hackles.

• Like 2