Fly Fusion Forums

Simms Convertible G3 Guide Waders

Hello all,

I am reaching out for your expert opinion ! I would like to know what you guys think of the Simms convertible G3 guide waders.

They seem to be a pretty good pair of waders to me but considering the $$, i want to make sure im making the right move !

Thanks ahead for your input !

Cheers,

SImon

I've been wearing Simms for 10 years from the guides to now wearing g4s.

Personally, I think the G3 convertibles aren't as good as the regular g3. You lose some of the nicer features that Simms has (fleece handpockets, tippet mender internal pocket) just so you can zip down the top into the bottom. I'd personally just get the regular G3s, and when it's warm out just roll down the top, and use the shoulder straps as a waist belt to hold them all down (which in my mind makes the g3 convertible quickly replaced)

I have the G3 convertibles and love them. I have had them for 3 years and no issues. I have yet to roll them up yet

And find them more comfortable in warm weather. I think that they have been discontinued so that's probably why

They are cheaper.

Hi,

I was looking at the g3 convertables as well but decided against them and got the full chest g3 waders instead.

All g3's are top quality so that wasnt the problem.

The main issue for me was that the verticle back strap wasn't adjustable, and the 3way buckle was quite high and ended up sitting at the base of my neck which was very uncomfortable (and im 5' 11")

post-4197-0-46300600-1375812359_thumb.jpg

It wouldn't have been an issue if I could remove the suspenders, but they looked fixed and sewn in.

I later figured out that the plastic clip that holds the suspenders in place actually has a slit in it so you can remove the suspenders and I could have customised the suspenders to be comfortable.

At the time I didn't want to pay $500 for a pair of waders that i'd have to cut strapping and mess up the suspenders.

So yes, if I had my time over i'd buy the convertables given that the suspenders are removable/customisable with a bit of work.

One other thing i've found is that pant waders wear differently to regular waders.

I find with my pant waders that i had to buy a slightly larger size so i could crouch down without the waders pulling down below the waist and also so i could lift my leg over fences etc.

cheers

Sean

I have them and love them but it's only been one and a half seasons in them. I do find the boot/leg area quite tight and I'm pretty skinny but I did get a large tall size. I'm 6' 1" and don't have any issues with the rear suspender. Most of the time I've been fishing with the top down and it's pretty nice to be able to pull them up quickly.

They are super comfortable when walking and wading though.

I just bought a pair of regular G3 Guides back in June. I was a bit afraid of dropping almost $500 on waders considering I fish in places where the bush is pretty heavy. Well, needless to say they stood up to the test and passed with flying colors. If you're a bit careful bushwacking , crossing fences,crawling over rocks/logs etc., these are great waders. Very comfortable and worth every dollar spent. Go to the Simms main page and read the reviews on each.

Edit: Oops .. sorry SeanD, I hadnt seen your post , havent looked in a bit.. you covered what i was saying!

original post

Hey guys... I own G3's in convertible... I love them... but i did have a problem with the suspenders too... a bit of a nuisance when using merely the pants... until one day i sat down and pulled the rear attachment from the .... weld .. or attachment... i was a lil worried that i wouldnt be able to get them fixd without a big problem... so it being a month ago... with great temps ... i simply through them on my hook and wet waded for a bit... finally a week or two ago i figured i would have a look and see what had to be done.. and low and behold... I SWEAR TO GOD these suspenders are removable... from all three points... its merely a loop connected to an open loop... have a look... play with them... pull them abart... DO NOT tear anything.. is not needed... they truly are removable suspenders... and are made that way.... i found out the hard way.. but the only reason why it let go when it did... is ...the stitched strap is a closed loop... but the buckle that is attached to the wader itself is not... trust me! ... ill post a pic... HAHA and my waders are still AWESOME... So... in saying that.... i thought i needed to get my waders fixed.... NOPE!! they just came apart where they are supposed to. I don't even know if they are meant to happen like this, but they are totally removable like they were manufactured like this!! EUREKA!! It works... It really works !

PM me if yu have any questions ill show you, or tell you how... its like.... so perfect! and they become true pants... and then chest waders when you want, at will! Just like I hoped when i bought em! spend the money i say! you'll not regret it....

Hey guys,

Really appreciate all the feed back but i decided to save my money and buy the G3 guide not convertible. They fit better on me and i think they will be more apropriate to my type of fishing. If its too hot, ill just wet wade like i have been doing anyway !

Cheers

Simon