Fly Fusion Forums

For Those Of You Who Have Some Flowing Water Fever...

Come on up north. Did a scouting trip on the waters north of HInton; everything looks good - a few of the larger/medium rivers still discolored, but every tributary is in good shape.

If you really need your flowing water fix; come to Edmonton - its an easy day trip to the Freeman river; you'll catch 30 Arctic Grayling in an afternoon...

Just to offer you guys an alternative...

Smitty

Sheesh. Offer to take some guys to some flowing water, and you get "Hawstoppah, the smart#@!". :) lol

Perhaps I should revive the Oilers / Flames threads, since clearly one franchise has a future, and the other, well, let's just say Quebec or Seattle are looking for a new team...

:P

Smitty

P.S. Excellent reply, btw, Peetso!

Its low and clear south of Hinton and Edson as well, the Brazeau is high but everything else is in really good shape. If coming from the south via Nordegg, monitor road conditions as there is only 1 lane left in the Blackstone Valley and the river is flowing/ chewing away at what's left. The road is rough but fully passable otherwise. Some pretty major channel changes due to the flood events this year, the McLeod and Blackstone in particular are hardly recognizable along some reaches. Big mayfly hatches today around Robb, really nice to see.

No ones every said go north young man.. Its weird how alot of people including myself feel that heading north just doesnt feel right. Ive been up to the ram and area and its very nice. South just feels better. Not sure how to explain it.

• Like 1

Sean84:

I find your comment a tad...odd. I have fished this province from Peace River to Cardston. I'll just say you're missing out on a pretty part of AB. Hiking and fishing through northern, tea-stained, muskeg-laden boreal forest chasing Athabascan rainbows is...unique. :)

Anyways, the advice / offer / encouragement still stands. :)

Smitty

• Like 1

@ Smitty, Any beta to offer the Swan R. or its tributaries?

Cheers.

Sean84:

I find your comment a tad...odd. I have fished this province from Peace River to Cardston. I'll just say you're missing out on a pretty part of AB. Hiking and fishing through northern, tea-stained, muskeg-laden boreal forest chasing Athabascan rainbows is...unique. :)

Smitty

Swan river...hmm, never fished it myself. I know its prone to flooding. Have no idea as to its condition.

Depending on the highway you choose, its not terribly out of the way to fish around Swan Hills. The Freeman river is a sure bet. So is the Little Smoky river.

Smitty

Sean84:

Smitty

I completely agree with this, I cant explain it but ive have met many people who just feel heading north doesnt feel right. I think for me its because I live in the deep south of calgary and hate driving through the city. I did have a great time on the ram last year and even sylvan lake a couple weeks ago. I have a very strong love for fishing the lower South west.

I'm from Calgary and I'll say "North is good" I fished Shunda Creek near Nordegg on Monday and it was clear. My 14 year old son and I caught a whole bunch of 10-12 inch Brookies on 1" long Stimulators (there were big stoneflies on the water) in the middle of the afternoon. Good Fun!

There's no denying that the SW portion of this province is amazing, stunning even . . .

. . . but the rest of the province has its subtle charms, if you're willing to go out and look for it.

image2-e1372767944551.jpg?w=600

dont get me wrong, i love the southwest, and have spent a good number of years exploring its scenery and amazing fishing opportunities. but this year ive focused on central alberta, fishing spring creeks, prairie creeks and have been rewarded with good fishing and different scenery. I encourage others to give it a try. Its different with its flat water and "ninja" fishing that is required to sneak up on weary browns and skiddish brookies. If your planning on giving it a try watch the weather like crazy, these creeks are much more susceptible to discoloration with a little rain. Shorter rods fare very well when willows and overgrowth are hugging the banks. Hella fun and challenging!

Cheers

• Like 1