Fly Fusion Forums

When Do You Think We Can Float?

I have friends who will be visiting from BC in a couple of weeks. Our original (pre-flood) plan was to float the Bow. My question is this: will that be even conceivably possible by mid-July? I have a two-man pontoon boat, so I don't need a launch, just a place to park within shouting distance of the river. I should also mention that I have four-wheel drive, so rough or slippery roads won't be a problem. I suspect Fish Creek will be accessible, but what about Policeman's or MacKinnon? With this hot dry weather, I am also assuming that flows will drop enough over the next two weeks that floating will be possible, or is that a foolish assumption? Any advice/predictions/speculation is welcome.

I think we are all trying to figure that out right now no access to mackinnon a yet I was told so I don't think we can see the damage sane with lower down. fish creek looks good police and glenmore hard to launch and no real parking... so it might be a few days to a week before anyone really knows I think.

We guided last year at a little lower then these levels, just need it to clear up and we'll be Fishin...

Yeah. Fishing was great last year with the high river. Once there was 35 cm of visibility, you could catch big fish with a couple metres of the banks. I did not catch anything with less than 30cm of visibility though.

I floated a few times last year when it was running around 350 and we were catching fish but it was fast and you have to be very cautious. Make sure you have a good long anchor rope and a heavy anchor. There will be lots of new obstacles in the river. Im very interested to see what kind of strange things we are going to find and float over in the river!

I went down to FC launch today. Surprised to see it wasn't in to bad of shape. If fact I'm sure I could launch mt drift boat without an issue. That said I also went to Police. Totally distroyed. River access is going to be a real issue for a very long time....

I went down to FC launch today. Surprised to see it wasn't in to bad of shape. If fact I'm sure I could launch mt drift boat without an issue. That said I also went to Police. Totally distroyed. River access is going to be a real issue for a very long time....

What was the visibility? Has it started to turn greenish yet? I can see that the flows have been stabilized at 400 m3/s.

heard the same thing about 22 still locked.. glenmore I heard there working on it but only allowing FD Mac looks good but tons of sand and muck turned mud with rain... looks pretty sloppy and probably getting stick if we get any rain Jansens from what I've seen looks bad land owner down there cleared his path and piled up at at the acces to the parking lot so that's out to carseland road is gone side channel now around the weir from what I've head 17th ave is also locked and has bin for a few years......