Fly Fusion Forums

Jet Boat

agbff

Hey all,

Looking into purchasing a 1648 tracker welded jon with a 40 hp (at the pump) Mercury jet. Went to BassPro and one of the tracker reps told me that they couldn't pair a 1648 with a 40 hp due to maximum hp regulations? Maybe they just can't mount it for liability reasons?

I haven't heard anything like this before and have done lots of reading online that says that this is a radical combo.

Many of the maximum hp regulations I have come across are from the United States and deal with rivers rather than boat size.

I think that the 1648 would be able to handle the 40hp as the 25hp is not significantly lighter.

Anyways, would appreciate if anyone could confirm this maximum hp/boat regulation? Just never heard of it before. Any other jet boat info is welcomed.

Cheers

Mine is that exact setup from that exact store. They were hesitant but they did it. Those engines are a 4 stroke 60hp head, with the power loss to the jet making it 40hp. The boat is recommended to 50 hp with a prop. So technically it's under. And be prepared to wait months for delivery if it was anything like mine. The engine is a bit heavy for a 1648 but once it's set up properly they go like hell. And swap out the tires ASAP, the stock tires on the trailer lasted a couple months with light use and blew apart on the highway.

It is recommended for a 25 hp prop on the newest models. But the guy said they had simply changed the rating but nothing about the actual boat.

It is also "recommended" max hp. Would you ever be stopped and checked for this or is the problem only dealing with getting it mounted?

I would much rather stick with a 16 footer vs. an 18 foot for weight reasons although the 18 is actually rated for 40hp.

Well if its just a change in the rating then your good to go.If you have a problem just buy them separate and mount yourself.

If you need help i'm available.

I've been checked before by F/W and they never looked.Lots of jets on the bow with more head HP then the boat is rated for.

One thing you need for sure is a transom saver.You've seen mine it works well.I've watched boats with small motors go over rail tracks and bumpy roads and its hard on the corners where the little triangles are.Most will crack there over time.

Worried about the transom capacity of the 1648. Can't seem to find an answer online or get a confirmed answer from the dealers. The 40 merc is 267lbs dry... Might have to get the transom reinforced ? Once you started getting into welding I imagine you're jumping drastically in cash money.