Fly Fusion Forums

Flood Warning Your Thoughts

Anyone know how Riverbend/Quarry Park is doing? I'm at work out of town and cant reach my landlord. I read that it was evacuated but anyone know if it is flooded?

From what I know, water has reached the houses near carburn Park and all along the bow side. Power is out on the west side of Riverbend

Good thing our hockey team wasn't good enough to make the cup finals then!!

They would make a better swimming team anyways :). Jokes aside, doesn't look good down there. Thoughts and prayers with everyone.

^ ^ Thanks Andy, appreciate the update.

The Oldman is flowing at almost 900, same as High River and the town there is under water.

I would think that the road through the Gap where Racehorse Creek meets Oldman will be washed out. It's not that far above the creek to start with. Maybe Racehorse Crk bridge will wash out too, then there's the little creeks/bridges like Vicary/Daisy/Dutch/Livingstone. Who knows how many might be gone.

We'll know better by about Saturday I guess.

I was fishing that spot on Racehorse Monday night...no problem to cross!! OMG!

Looking for two to drift on Saturday. It would be cool if you can row, i think the river might have some colour to her so probably streamers on heavy sink tips... i've heard she is a little quicker with the showers we've had.. bring a rain coat we might not be wet wading.

• Like 1

I have been speechless since last night, i was one of many evacuated in 2005 and now watching a flood that dwarfs it and can only ask how can we help what do the affected need. Every minute seems to get worst anyways, as i started the thread i am sorry to have asked are they jumping the gun and well i am very proud of our city and how everyone has jumped to action.

Please all be safe!

there was pictures on Twitter of a girl in bridgeland who picked up whitefish on 1st Ave, blocks away from the bow, and another of a decent looking brown around memorial drive.

Im having a hard time comprehending this. drove my bike down to Southland dog park, and its just shocking.

Take it easy everyone

Seeing the pictures I'm able to find is just crazy! I cant even begin to imagine whats happening to you guys out there. It just seems impossible for things to happen so quickly. Begin to rethink my vacation out that way next month. Headed out there no matter what but thinking I may have to rethink plans. Again thoughts and prayers out to all involved, stay safe out there!

Just checking in from Ontario. I've been following the flooding since last night. I hope everyone is doing okay. It pains me to see my home province having such troubles. I complain all the time out here about the rain and how Alberta is usually dry and that I've never owned and umbrella and I'll be damned if I'll start now. Crazy seeing this.

I live in Riverbend, I don't think any houses are going to flood here or Quarry Park although the condos by Carburn Park may come close. The river is just insane here though. The 3rd Carburn pond is completely gone and may even be the new river channel when it's all said and done. The power of the river is just incredible. Lots of damage all over the river valley around here, Beaverdam Flats, Carburn, and Southland will be affected quite a bit.

72jf.jpg

hevb.jpg

diej.jpg

zydu.jpg

o89h.jpg

xacv.jpg

8q1j.jpg

harvie passage at deerfoot.

Looks like it doesn't have to go far to touch the Deerfoot.

Hope everyone is safe and sound tonight. If you require a place to stay that is dry send me a pm. We have room, food, water and lots of blankets.

Policeman's Flat's Flash Flood Friday!

[IMG_1630_zps74a0137d.jpg[/url][/media]

I understand this flood is perhaps an unprecedented natural disaster in Calgary's history.

In this picture, however, I only see a beautiful and thriving boreal/temperate ecosystem.

I would never, ever have guessed that this was a picture taken less than 10km from one of the biggest cities in Canada.

• Like 1

I might have thought up a bright side to this flooding.

The section on east side of Bow north of Deerfoot trail at the south end below Cranston is getting developed for houses coming close to the river. This would ruin an otherwise pristine part of the river. l bet that is all underwater now. Would they be stupid enough to continue that development after this, I hope not. But if they do, somebody will still buy them so it seems.

Some shots of the Highwood confluence. Definitely some fish on the Highwood side near the farm buildings - the Pelicans looked like they were having a nice buffet. Ground was shaking from the boulders being tossed down.

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

• Like 1

thank you for posting pics. I havent been down yet to see for myself. But I would never stop on deer foot and take pictures of the river. Just asking for trouble. Use your heads and please don't cause another emergency from your stupidity. Know to many people in first responders that would have to deal with your mistake for just taking pictures.

• Like 1