Fly Fusion Forums

Turner Valley-Sour Gas!

Sorry to correct you muffin but one of my back grounds is oilfield safety. 8 ppm is ohs standards is 8 hour exposure limit, at 50 ppm you lose senses ie. Smell, taste , and motor functions start to limit. At 100 to 150 if you are unable to have breathing aid scba etc available death or severe brain damage is likely. Im not trying to be a know it all person just rather educate people from my experience as i have witnessed h2s poisoning and i tell you its frieghtning having to save one who thought it was ok to breath in 20 ppm for 10 mins while he fixed his scba pack. But you are right be scared of h2s by the time you realize it its to late.

Actually if you can smell it you are okay <100 ppm.

Oh good lord no, far from ok. <100 ppm will still cause you some serious eye, nose, throat and lung damage and can be fatal if exposed long enough. If I could smell H2S after a ruptured pipeline I wouldn't be hanging around there too long.

Oh right sorry. I knew my H2S tickets were coming due, this serves as a great reminder. I always go back through and read it when I am going back to the field which sadly hasn't been for awhile.

Thanks for the information drlevi and thanks for putting the correct info out there. :cheers:

Sorry mistake on my part 100-150 ppm was supposed to be 150 to 1000 ppm 1000 being instant death. This is why you should not watch tv and type ha ha. Distracted typing could be a new one

Just a bit of a correction to this point...1000ppm does not mean instant death. You will lose consciousness immediately, in fact this will happen at 700ppm. Your body will shut down and you'll have to be rescued and revived within 4 to 6 minutes. Just a little info, the word was that the concentration of H2S in the pipeline was 1%...1% = 10,000ppm.