Fly Fusion Forums

If This Isn't Illegal It Should Be.

Maybe someone could find out if this guy has his unit parked at Dutch Creek and is renting it on my tax payers dime. I already called him. He says he doesn't have it parked there although his ad states he does. I told him why I was calling, to inquire about what he was doing...

PH: 403 331 8795

http://vacations.kijiji.ca/c-Canada-Alberta-South-West-Alberta-camp-kananaskis-trailer-for-rent-W0QQAdIdZ483183884

My understanding is if you are running a business ( accepting $ for a service) within a PP you require a permit (whether teaching fly casting in Fish Creek Park or or renting out a camper in Dutch creek).

Business permits

47 No person shall carry on a business in a provincial park or

recreation area unless that person is the holder of a permit for that

purpose or has entered into an agreement for that purpose with the

Minister under section 10© of the Act.

AR 102/85 s47;251/2001;26/2004

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/1985_102.pdf

P

My understanding is if you are running a business ( accepting $ for a service) within a PP you require a permit (whether teaching fly casting in Fish Creek Park or or renting out a camper in Dutch creek).

P

tell that to the guides within the oldman gap..

And all the fly shops that run classes and guides that guide within FCPP!

quote name="bcube" post="171351" timestamp="1368475613"]

tell that to the guides within the oldman gap..

I guess that's the main disadvantage of not having any rule/regs/legislation regarding guiding in Alberta, as well as not having enough conservation officers to enforce the existing rules...

I have since been told it is the camp host that is trying to rent out the trailer.

Needless to say I am going to be putting the heat to maximum, whether this is legal or not.

I'm tired of our Provincial Government giving away our resources and assets to those who feel they can do whatever they want with them.

Privatization in this Province is costing the taxpayers a hell of a lot more than anyone ever expected.

if he's only accepting cash he will no doubt not report it on his income tax for 2013. get his info and report him to the CRA. and leave a note on his trailer telling him he is being reported to the CRA to ensure he reports the income.

• 3 weeks later...

The ad is gone. I would have liked to have seen it, If this guy's place of work and his residence is Dutch Creek and he wants to rent out a trailer. What's the harm. What else is he supposed to do? He lives there. Then again I didn't see the ad and not sure of his intentions. I'll ask him about it. See him lots.

attachicon.gifCapture3.JPG

I would prefer not to have my Tax Payer Funded Provincial Park space being rented out by private individuals, whether they work at or manage the sites or not.

Wow!! I'm definitely going to look into this. I'm sure he has been shutdown. This breaks a few regulations. What was he thinking?

Would anybody here care if it was parked at some obscure pothole in the middle of the balda$$ prairie,or is it only offensive because it's advertised as Dutch Creek?Would it make a difference if it read "27ft fifth wheel for rent,willing to deliver to Dutch Creek PP or surrounding area,etc,etc...."??

I don't mean to sound snide, but at least he is trying to get somebody back IN the campground. Have you seen the place most weekdays recently? It is nearly EMPTY, while 2km down the road we have RV villages larger than the town I live in popping up (I really wish I was NOT kidding there). Right now your taxpayer money is mainly going to a lovely campground sitting over half vacant 75% of the summer.

• Like 2

I don't mean to sound snide, but at least he is trying to get somebody back IN the campground. Have you seen the place most weekdays recently? It is nearly EMPTY, while 2km down the road we have RV villages larger than the town I live in popping up (I really wish I was NOT kidding there). Right now your taxpayer money is mainly going to a lovely campground sitting over half vacant 75% of the summer.

EXACTLY!!

Would it make a difference if he parked said 5th wheel on Racehorse for the entire season like members of this very forum do and offered it up for rent when he wasn't there?

Maybe those that are so appalled with the "abuse of their tax dollars" should get together and pony up $600/mth from May-Sept to ensure 100% occupancy on at least one camplot in Dutch Creek PP?

Assuming that he is actually paying the $20/night camping fee(which admittedly might be suspect if he in fact does work there?)then what business of anybody elses is it as to who actually occupies said trailer on any given night?it's no different then if he rents it from his home and the renter tows it to DCPP or anywhere else for that matter,especially given the fact that there is thousands of sq km of provincial wildlands from one end of the FTR to the other where it's a camping free-for-all.

Reporting him to CRA??Talk about getting your panties in a knot over nothing,WOW!!If this isn't the epitome of petty jealousy,I don't know what is?

Hmmmm....kinda ironic how my last sentence is almost identical to the topic title?

• Like 1

Hmmm, this is an interesting and tough problem for me. On one hand I hate seeing random campers and what usually happens to the wilderness around it; I hate having to walk through their "campsites" enroute to the river. But then if we disallowed that then the campgrounds would be full and would I be able to get a spot? It would be a road race to the campground every weekend. I love Dutch and Racehorse and don't mind paying the fees to help keep these places open. I like that on most weekends I can get a nice spot there. I don't and never will random camp. But what is the answer? For me, not sure. Selfish side says leave them be, with perhaps better policies, so that I may continue to camp in beautiful campgrounds with my family on pretty much any given weekend.

More quality campgrounds and zero random camping would be the solution. This place should be protected like a national park! It is a treasure and we are watching it get trashed. But that's besides the point of the original post. Back to your regularly scheduled programming :)

You're right Brian......this topic will never go away until random camping reg's are enforced. I spoke to a "Park Ranger" a few weeks ago and he said that a different department other than SRD may be authorized to start enforcing these reg's. That is a step in the right direction because currently nothing is being done in the Castle (which I hear is the worst) and Oldman, Racehorse, Livingston, Dutch areas

The manager at Dutch Creek is NOT involved in this!! Parks found out about it and scouted the area to find out who was responsible. and came up with nothing.. Maybe the guy was just "Fishing" on a free website to see what kind of interest he could drum up.

The manager at Dutch Creek is NOT involved in this!! Parks found out about it and scouted the area to find out who was responsible. and came up with nothing.. Maybe the guy was just "Fishing" on a free website to see what kind of interest he could drum up.

Would you happen to know the contact name from Parks that looked into this? Maybe they would be interested in the emails I have that could shed a lot of light on their investigation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you Hawgstoppah!

The whole area has been badly abused by random camping and off road activities (not to mention the extensive logging). Many years ago I used to camp on or above the Livingstone with my family for one or maybe two weekends a year. We tried to be eco-friendly but the fact is that it was the lack of pressure that kept us from adversely affecting the area. To put things in perspective, even though I covered many miles fishing each day, I was always a little upset when I saw another fisherman along the creek on weekend in late summer. For over 20 years now there have been just too many people accessing this beautiful but fragile area and our activities need to be controlled. All camping in this area needs to be confined to campgrounds and all motorized off-road activity should be prohibited.

Back to the topic at hand: It is also a shame that the provincial government has privatized campgrounds but, that deal is done. Having said that, no-one owes the highest bidder a living just because he/she decided to run a campground. They must also respect the rules and running an unauthorized motel on Crown Land does not fit within that paradigm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Honourable Diana McQueen, Minister of Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, forwarded to me your e-mail of May 13, 2013 regarding your inquiry about a trailer rental opportunity at Dutch Creek Provincial Recreation Area that appeared as a listing on Kijiji. As the Minister responsible for provincial parks and recreation areas, I appreciate your concern and for the opportunity to respond.

Regional staff were made aware of this matter, confirmed the listing and contacted Rocky Mountain Camping, the contracted operator for this provincial recreation area. I am pleased to advise that the contracted operator has taken down the listing and is aware of the inappropriateness of this action.

I take concerns such as yours very seriously, and I want to thank you once again for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and allowing the department to resolve it.

Best regards,

Dr. Richard Starke

Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation

Well, this is the response from the Gov't if you were wondering.....

FHD

• Like 2