Fly Fusion Forums

Finally Caught My First Brown !

Yes that's right ! I have almost been living in Calgary for a year and I just caught my first Brown Trout yesterday ! SO here is the story...I am from eastern Canada where trout rivers are not very aboundant...more used to Bass fishing or pike ....Anyway, a year ago when i moved here the Bow was quite itimidating, fast flowing and had no idea where fish would be...So needless to say that last summer, i caught three rainbows....

Not gonna lie, I thought flyfishing was gonna be over for me before it started....then came winter blues.... I started tying and really doing my homework. Fished the end of January and all of march and was quite succesful, LOTS of rainbows and whites but still ..... no ....brown....

My luck finally switched last monday, I hooked into a pig of a brown that put on a pretty good aerial show before running like ive never seen before and headed straight for a run .... instead of running after it, I froze and it broke off...I shed a tear...

Then it wasnt until yesterday that my dreams finally came true ! I caught my first brown, not very big but what a beautiful fish !!

I can offically say that im hooked for life !

Thanks for reading

Simon

post-5164-0-94752300-1366899400_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I think its a great river ! I am a huge fan of birding as well so I am well served with all the eagles, ducks, etc. Definately has its challenges which is good, it keeps you thinking ! Now that i feel somewhat comfortable on the Bow i really want to start exploring mountian streams and alpine lakes.

Love the Bow period, but yes those browns are a treat. Some people cringe when I say how beautiful fish are, and cant understand the fricken amazing colors. My wife was blown away by a hog brown I caught, and the gold was amazing. Brookies are no slouch for color and love the silver bullet. Will never tire of the colors. Check out some of Adriennes pics to see a great example. Are the gold browns, the german strain?

• 3 weeks later...