Fly Fusion Forums

Nymph Fishing

There's quite a lot you need to know about nymphing. It isn't so much knowing "something", as you ask above, but that even if you know a few things, if one important thing is still missing (depth, type of water, pattern, presentation, reacting quickly to every movement of your indicator, and several other factors) you are unlikely to catch many fish on the nymph.

It takes most people quite a while to get good at it. Some people think they know how to nymph but still don't do very well at it.

I would recommend you reading a book on nymphing, or perhaps visiting fly fishing magazine websites and reading articles on nymphing. Also, some of the better fly shops, not only here but on the major trout streams in Montana, will run excellent articles that cover important aspects of nymphing.

Be sure to get out on the water and fish, Trout aren't much into video's or being where experts say they should be. Cast explore and experiment.

so true on the Bow. while you may have a lot of success quite frequently by mastering the techniques which have become common on the Bow (2 flies 9ft from an indicator) to truly be able to adjust and catch fish when they are not on that method, takes experience and time on the water trying new things. I used to almost always fish that method, now if it doesn't work for me for more than a few hours I am switching to a variety of different methods. It's actually amazing how many fish are in places no one fishes, that are 2-3ft deep and characterless.