Fly Fusion Forums

Buying Material

plumeja

I am new to tying. Well I did it as a kid and now am getting back into it. If you where to set yourself up with basic material for the bow what would you be buying. I do have a few things that my dad set out to me but I want to get a basic stock of what is very commonly used

Your list should be based on the flies you intend to tie/fish. Figure out what patterns you think you'll want to use and then find the recipes for these flies and start from there. Remember that you can substitute materials that you can't find for something similar that is more easily found. Experimenting with different material combos sometimes works great too.

If you are new to tying you might want to start with something straight forward like buggers. Some beads for the head, Chenille and saddle hackle for the body and Marabou for the tail will get you started. There are lots of patterns out there with lots of different materials. In addition some pheasant tail tinsel and a variety of dubbing is a good start. A visit to a reputable fly shot (not a box store) will get you started. Its a bit of a loaded queston as there are a lot of different patterns out there.

Some of the base staples that I use on the bow and are quite easy to tie are:

Prince nymph

Waterboatmen

Copperjohn

Hares ear

Elk hair caddis

Stimulator

Buggers

There are some great books at the library that will give you recipes as well google top 10 bow flies and it will give you a good list. Lots of these can have substituted materials and get the same effect. You should check out fish tales they have good lessons

Look at some easier and standard Bow flies, like Prince Nymph, Copper John, Evil Weevil, Wire Worm, Wooly Bugger, Bow Bugger, Black Ant, San Juan Worm, Hare's Ear Nymph. Now, you really do not need a lot of different materials to tie all those....make a materials list for each, and you will see that they share a lot of the required materials....then head down to FishTales and have the staff help you find what you need, and you are off to a great start without breaking the bank.