Fly Fusion Forums

Golden Trout Info?

Hey guys..

A buddy and I are planning on going for golden trout this summer and we need your help. I am aware of some lakes here in Alberta that contain golden trout. Barnaby ridge, rainy ridge, coral lake, and michelle lake. We are searching for a mountain lake that requires a 2-6 hour hike in. If you have fished these lakes we are curious about how well they fish, how hard is the hike, if you had alot of success. (ect).

Thanks alot for the help!!! - Nathaniel

Coral- Looong hike in - 35 km one way if I recall (6-7 yrs ago) with 10-12 creek crossings, we got 6 inches of snow on way in mid august, grizzlys, lots of sheep hunters. Some of them ride up and bonk goldens to eat for dinner while camping up at the job creek trail confluence. Most of trail you will be dodging horse *hit in willows along the creek.

Rainy - 4 hour hike, easy access, tough to find trial head though, basically walk straight up an av shoot until you hit a headwall, follow the base of the headwall around to outlet creek. caught many, many fish, they only wanted nymphs, were picky, and very small. Also a few other groups in at the same time. Beautiful setting, golds are like a bar of gold in hand. pm if you need better details.

• Like 1

rest assured anywhere you choose to chase goldens I can tell you one thing, the scenery will be incredible, and the fish are like a little slice of what heaven will be like when you get a chance to view one with your own eyes. I've fished a LOT. Caught my share of small pretty fish, big badarse fish and everything in between yet my heart longs for another hike in trip this coming summer. :)