Fly Fusion Forums

Brookie Bonking

And there you go man, the Bow, the Crow, the lower OM, Barnaby Ridge, Bullshead etc. are just places I'd go to placate a fishin' itch or curiosity. The upper OM, Upper Belly, Mcleod, Freeman, Kakwa are all places I'd go to fish for something truly unique.

And there you go man, the Bow, the Crow, the lower OM, Barnaby Ridge, Bullshead etc. are just places I'd go to placate a fishin' itch or curiosity. The upper OM, Upper Belly, Mcleod, Freeman, Kakwa are all places I'd go to fish for something truly unique.

Like I said ..It's matter of your opinion..which I get where your coming from..

but each to there own. Just asks those who worship those waters that hold Goldens and the experience the journey to reach those waters.

• Like 1

They are ALL unique, and good. My only point is let's not get hasty and blow them up for a "hope" of restoring what once was. Blame our forefathers for posting giant stringers of bull and cutthroat trout, decimating our waters, and making it so we almost needing to stock something in them to have anything to fish for. But now let's focus heavily on waters that can be saved = great. Thinking every brookie (or any non native for that matter) people catch anywhere should be tossed into the weeds = not great. Some of Alberta's best trout fisheries (dare I say MOST of them, lake, river, or otherwise) are fishing for those evil non natives. They should be protected too for what they are now.

• Like 1

OK then you guys, riddle me this, what makes these "wild fish" so special and unique?

I'll give you an honest answer on that one. A 5 trout species day is entirely possible on a few different AB waters, which is a pretty darned unique experience in and of itself. In fact, I had a 6 species day once in my life on the crow believe it or not (laker and a bull below the falls, a brown somewhere it shouldn't have been up by hillcrest, rainbows, then later on towards evening a cutty and a brookie in the upper reaches). I don't know anywhere else that unique day would be possible, yet there I stood. I also believe it to be a very unique experience stalking brown trout in the middle of the night in a city of over one million people. Again, it's all in how you want to paint the picture of what you are looking at, I choose to appreciate and love what we have now and find special things about every fishery.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Brian, only difference between you and me is I'm a little farther down the evolutionary path of an angler tis all, been fishin' 55 yrs plus.

BTW, in the 10 or 12 yrs I've been yappin' about this, I never once said we needed to nuke the introduced fish. I've always said we needed to weed the garden a bit and preserve what's left.

Taco,

Gotta agree with you. Anglers should and must do their part to preserve what is left BUT anglers are only a small part of why natives are disappearing.

Seems like Jim S. said very clearly that stocking of BROOKIES was at fault. Wasn't that a professional biologist decision? Have we removed/changed this biologist mind?

Land use is either staying the same or further deteriorating. What is being done about cows, quads, clear cutting?

Frankly I getting very tired of anglers always carrying the ball for lousy decisions or actions by the "trained" & govt employed professionals.

Don

In Hawgstoppah's words....Amen McLeod,you nailed it.(post #42)

Maybe I'm a bit biased being that brookies have probably accounted for >90% of all trout I've ever caught and conservatively >80% of all fish I've ever caught in 40years of angling,but in that lives alot of memories of the special places,friends,and times spent pursuing them.I guess it's just hard for me to grasp anybody wanting to annhialate them.....then again,I have a major hate on for invasive smallmouth,spread by Bill Dance wannabe bucket biologists that have destroyed so much of my favorite native salmon and trout waters.I enthusiastically feed every single one of them spiny green bastards that I can sink a hook into to the coons and weeds.

• 2 months later...

Actually, RedBeard, it is upstream of the reserve, near priddis. In past years, there were always only Rainbows, but lately the brookies have been showing up. Sadly, I am still waiting for my first cutthroat trout, but I fear that the Rainbows pushed them out years ago.

Reviving this old thread... But just curious as to the regs for Fish Creek by priddis... Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Reviving this old thread... But just curious as to the regs for Fish Creek by priddis... Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Does it just fall under the unlisted streams in ES1?

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and

for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.

l June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over

35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present,

Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch

limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.

l Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where

present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit];

Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.

l Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

not spo sure it is under bow tribs - upstream of Bearspaw, the regs specify "& tributaries" no mention of tribs that below Bearspaw.

"from Ghost Dam downstream to Bearspaw Reservoir (not
including the reservoir), & tributaries (except Jumpingpound Creek)
l Apr. 1 to June 15 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over
30 cm; Bait Ban
l June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish
limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the
river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
l Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
8 from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks
Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore
Reservoir).
l CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
l June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm;
All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5
over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river
from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
8 from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir
downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the
Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all
waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird
Sanctuary) – Open all year.
l Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm
must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban."

The fact that tributaries are not included in the regs for the Bow River from WHD to Carseland, means that Fish Creek follows the general stream regs for ES1 as outlined in point B below. That would be my interpretation as least and certainly consistent with other regs throughout the region.

STREAMS

A. For Streams listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
circle-filled.jpg You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
circle-filled.jpg June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
circle-filled.jpg Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
circle-filled.jpg Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

not spo sure it is under bow tribs - upstream of Bearspaw, the regs specify "& tributaries" no mention of tribs that below Bearspaw.

"from Ghost Dam downstream to Bearspaw Reservoir (not
including the reservoir), & tributaries (except Jumpingpound Creek)
l Apr. 1 to June 15 – Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over
30 cm; Bait Ban
l June 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish
limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the
river from Aug. 16 to Oct. 31.
l Nov. 1 to Mar. 31 – CLOSED
8 from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks
Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore
Reservoir).
l CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
l June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm;
All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5
over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river
from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
8 from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir
downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the
Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all
waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird
Sanctuary) – Open all year.
l Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm
must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban."

The fact that tributaries are not included in the regs for the Bow River from WHD to Carseland, means that Fish Creek follows the general stream regs for ES1 as outlined in point B below. That would be my interpretation as least and certainly consistent with other regs throughout the region.

STREAMS

A. For Streams listed and fish species listed under “ES1 Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.

circle-filled.jpg You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.

circle-filled.jpg June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.

circle-filled.jpg Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.

circle-filled.jpg Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

You're right, no tribs listed here! Sounds like it falls under B

• 1 month later...

Taco, Gotta agree with you. Anglers should and must do their part to preserve what is left BUT anglers are only a small part of why natives are disappearing. Seems like Jim S. said very clearly that stocking of BROOKIES was at fault. Wasn't that a professional biologist decision? Have we removed/changed this biologist mind? Land use is either staying the same or further deteriorating. What is being done about cows, quads, clear cutting? Frankly I getting very tired of anglers always carrying the ball for lousy decisions or actions by the "trained" & govt employed professionals. Don

Am I reading this right Don?

I know there is a lot more to this post and I don't disagree with your basic premise or the thrust of your arguement but, are you really suggesting Jim Stelfox is somehow responsible the original decision to stock Brookies in Alberta? Did you really mean to impugn a frustrated, dedicated, underpaid, provincial employee who has been fighting the good fight almost as long as you have?

I have known Jim for a long, long time and while we often disagree, I am quite certian he is one of the good guys!

• Like 2

Am I reading this right Don?

I know there is a lot more to this post and I don't disagree with your basic premise or the thrust of your arguement but, are you really suggesting Jim Stelfox is somehow responsible the original decision to stock Brookies in Alberta? Did you really mean to impugn a frustrated, dedicated, underpaid, provincial employee who has been fighting the good fight almost as long as you have?

I have known Jim for a long, long time and while we often disagree, I am quite certian he is one of the good guys!

I'm pretty sure he wasn't in charge in the early 1900s

Sorry you lost me.

Did I already respond to this? Admittedly it is an old topic, I'm not on the site regularly and I can be a little techno phobic. If so forgive my redundant post, I'm only a chironomid.

Was there a response back then? Did Jim in fact introduce Brook Trout to Alberta?

Sorry you lost me. Did I already respond to this? Admittedly it is an old topic, I'm not on the site regularly and I can be a little techno phobic. If so forgive my redundant post, I'm only a chironomid. Was there a response back then? Did Jim in fact introduce Brook Trout to Alberta?

Dear God, no! Jim did not introduce Brook Trout to AB, unless he's approaching 100 years old in age and has different identities.

Look, I love brookies; they were one of the first trout (char) I caught since dad and I began fishing the Jasper-Hinton area. I want them here; I want the opportunity to catch them.

But! I'm with Taco on this one; because his analogy to "weeding them down / thinning them out" is bang on. Its hard sometimes to listen to the somewhat hysterical nonsense arguments about "there's a war on brookies". Foolishness!

If there's an opportunity to help restore some watersheds / fisheries to their previous cutt-bull-whitefish "nativeness" - well sign me up, I'm all for it. Wait, I already did...

What some of the anti-pilot project anti-experiment crowd doesn't quite get in their red herring and sidetracked arguments is this one, single, salient fact:

There is no "winning the war" with brookies. The beauty of pilot projects and brookie bonking is that all they do is thin the herd.

Don't believe me? Well riddle me this: after 10+ years of bonking brookies on Quirk creek, have we "won"? Are the brookies all gone? Totally eradicated? Nope. And that's 10 years folks, thousands of bonked brookies.

Its a have your cake and eat it too - there's a 0% chance the ENTIRE PROVINCE could EVER rid itself of brookies (all caps for effect, lol) and so we will never run out of opportunities to fish for them.

And, bonus, we have streams where I take kids to, fish are easy to catch, tasty, and there's plenty of them. Win-win in my books.

And guys, there's no movement, no hidden conspiracy, no ridiculous, illogical, shortsighted, far fetched conspiracy like theories that the gov't and the far-left-eco-tree-loving biologists (and that has been insinuated a little bit) that this province will ever return - or try to return via shortsighted fisheries policies - to the state it was 200 years ago with only native fish. (And who, among us, would even entertain those thoughts, let alone support that?) OK, I exaggerate a little for my convenient straw man argument. I digress...

Natives are here to stay (if we take measures to protect them) and the exotic stockers are here to stay too. People should quit trying to propagate the false choice between natives and stockers. We've got both, and both are probably not going anywhere soon.

As pointed out numerous times by numerous people, there are far greater issues in the province in reagrds to crown land, leases, access, industrial intrusion, habitat loss, etc etc etc.

Anyways, that's today's rant from me, brought to you Hutterite colony butter; the best butter for frying brookies!

Smitty

• Like 1

Smitty: Dear God, no! Jim did not introduce Brook Trout to AB, unless he's approaching 100 years old in age and has different identities.

Yes I know that Smitty, although sometimes when Jim and I are finished having a "discussion", I feel like I may have aged a hundred years.

I guess whomever said that sarcasm doesn't work well on-line was right.

• Like 1