Fly Fusion Forums

Stand Up Paddle Board Fly Fishing... Thoughts?

Roast

Saw this video today and thought I would share. I recently used a stand up paddle board on the ocean and was surprised at how stable it was, however I don't think that I would ever try fishing from one on a moving river. I guess it could be good for getting from spot to spot. What do you think?

My wife is wanting one of these, and apparently there is a SUP club in Calgary and they do use the river sometimes.

Personally, I don't think it would be easy to fish from in the river, but they would work for getting from spot to spot, especially in the City where the river is flatter and has less rapids. Imagine catching a fish, trying to paddle, stay upright, avoid upcoming obstacles, and land the fish. I find this to be tricky enough with 2 guys in a drift boat.

On a side note I have fished the Flaming Gorge on the Green River where they shot this video, and I would like to see him going through some of the larger rapids they have.

A

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

hyper lame if your not in the tropics! buy a small canoe and a long paddle, at least them you have a nice boat as well. They do have models out there with rod holders mounted in the back for trolling but in then end its a bit dumb i think.

I have seen one on the Bow, within the city. I can't image trying to fish from one, nor do I think it can compare to a pontoon or even a canoe for getting around. Just a novelty in my opinion....

THOUGHTS

i'v seen them on the bow , just not fly fishing , i don't like em myself , i had to do a rescue last year in my boat , seen a lady almost drown , she came off and it was pulling her down by a log , she had the dame thing strapped to her foot , crazy

• Like 1

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Dutchy. they all strap to the leg so when you fall off it wont run away on you. Her almost drowning was a lack of an ability to swim or the lack if IQ points to buy a life jacket.

I have been fortunate to fish off one of them on the flats of Florida! These boards are a lot easier to fish off them most would think. They are stable and easy to get around in. A tip for fishing off one is to have your rod placed on the board between your feet with line already stripped out so u can just pick up your rod and cast. Personally i loved fishing off a SUP board!

I saw a ton of people on these on Whitefish lake this past summer, but just paddling around. I think as an exercise, they would be awesome for core strength. I've seen vids of people fishing with them on the flats, which looks pretty doable as Paula attested to. My personal opinion is that it's a bit trendy and people are trying to take it from lakes/flats to the river...bad idea if you ask me.

I agree with you Vhawk12 ! I don't think SUPs are best used in rivers. The one thing that limits it from fishing in rivers is that in order to cast your rod you have to put the paddle down on the board between your feet. In rivers i think you would have to maneuver the board to much to have time to pick up your rod to cast and have a long drift. Unfortunately you have to place switch a-roo with either a rod in hand or your paddle.

Umm, no I can sit my ass down in a pontoon and don't have to try and use my atrophied muscles to stabilize the damn thing. This thing looks just short of a medevial torture device. Plus, where do you put all the beer? not to mention the dozens of flies I'll go through, plus my 5 rods, dog, trolling motor, GoPro, fishfinder, gps, subway sannies, beef jerky, etc.. It's just too damn minimalistic. I don't own a pontoon, but when I do get one, I bet I wish I had a drift boat, and someone to row it for me. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have fished a lot out of a kayak over the years without any incidents mostly on lakes but I have used it on the flats at Carseland, it made it very easy to sneak up on sippers from below. I would love to try one of these on the flats in the Bahamas or Cuba..... poor mans flats boat

For river SUP if you are using a leash then it has to be a releasable one, in case it wraps around a rock or a log. Several people have already drowned this way.

I've been into SUPpin on the Elk when its high and brown and closed to fishing, a lot of fun and a great way to enjoy the river. Actually the other cool thing about it is when you go for a float and the river is running quite clear, you get to investigate possible lies and you also get to spot fish as you have a great vantage point.

The river SUP boards are really wide and intended for whitewater so for the most part in class 1-2, you dont fall off. On a hot day this summer i'll grab an old rod, tie on a big old foam bug, and go for a float. I dont think it will ever be super effective but still might make for an interesting adventure :}

I would love to try one on the flats, that would be super fun, as long as the wind stays light. SUPs dont work well in the wind, unless you going downwind only!

Paula, where did you fish in Florida? I am headed there in April, Naples for the most part and a couple days in the Keys...

Kevin

For getting around on the river with your gear, perhaps, most people would probably find a sit-on-top kayak easer to manage. In regards to the lady who had her sup strapped to her ankle like an ocean surfur.... this is one of the most dangerous things you can do on the river with constant moving current. The rescue that happened is a direct result of her ankle leash. If you do SUP on the river...please, please please do not use the ankle leash, its a death trap. You must be able to get away from anything in the river if your swimming. And please wear a pfd too, it's fun to not have to struggle to swim in freezing water and its the law in town limits anyways.