Fly Fusion Forums

12/13 Ski / Snowboard / Backcountry

heading out there for a few days over new years glad to see they're finally gettin some covereage how was it?

They are getting nuked right now, 30cm+ today

I love the powdery white sh!t !! Thanks for posting. i just picked up a gopro recently.... What model were you using?

this is the 1080 Hero, 3 yrs old, the new Hero3's are amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Headed cat boarding tomorrow, excellent surprise Christmas present from the wife. I will be with only the second group to head to the area in the cat, so should be really good.

Can't wait!

Then off to whitefish for 5 days on Saturday with a stop off in fernie on the way back.

• Like 1

Weatherman saying it's going to warm up some , should make it perfect sledding & snowboarding , plus fernie and I guess everywhere has tons of snow , I'm going to go in the next few days , anyone want to go as a group , see some back county and them lovely mountains ,

Make a day trip or a overnight 'er

• Like 1

I would be up for a day tour, I pretty much head out touring every weekend as it is.

Kananaskis and Banff/Yoho have been great lately! Here is a good trip report from my buddy Kevin.

Dec. 31' date=' 2012 w/ Justin (stein)

Last turns of 2012 and they were awesome! The base of the slope was only 5 mins from the car.

[img']http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8220/8333416983_4ef3a1ae59_z.jpg[/img]

After one lap on the normal slopes, we decided to take a closer look at the couloir.

8333473775_856dd4f9db_z.jpg

It was relatively small, straight, not too steep, little/no overhead hazard, good run out, and overall very stable conditions, so it was looking good.

We set a steep uptrack right to the mouth of the couloir and took the time to dig a pit. With no unexpected results to scare us off, we started the tedious boot pack up the couloir.

8333865385_acb7455ea1_z.jpg

8334463184_d3c3d877c1_z.jpg

We made it about 100 vertical meters up and began to notice a 10 cm thick crust overlying sugary snow, so we strapped in at that point, about halfway up.

8333398235_8d10873700_z.jpg

8334452780_4087770307_z.jpg

8333390733_e3f62b64ab_z.jpg

Slightly crusty in the couloir, but awesome powder down below. So good that we came back up to our pit location for a third lap.

3 runs, ~800 m vertical, 8 km

A few more pics and hi-res of those above here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/powrider_kevsauer/sets/72157632400918353/with/8333390733/

Here's hoping for much more safe and plentiful powder in the new year!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im looking to head up Saturday the 12th if any one wants to join. I will go where ever the powder is but if none i usually spend the day running mach 2 down all triple to regular blacks and blue runs. I would also entertain the idea of Nakiska as i have not rode there in a long time.

Pm if you want to car pool

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

LETS ****ING DO IT!!!!!!

i will check back here again to double check. If you want to swing by on Friday night to wax some becks im down.