Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Boat

tman

Does anyone have instructions for attaching a bicycle tire to a pontoon boat so I can roll it down to the lake instead of carrying it?

Thanks,

Todd

Wheel setups can be very diffferent from pontoon to pontoon because of where and how the anchors system on them is set up.

Who is the maker of your pontoon?

Are you hoping to use the forks off the bike or make your own?

Does anyone have instructions for attaching a bicycle tire to a pontoon boat so I can roll it down to the lake instead of carrying it?

Thanks,

Todd

I saw a guy this spring with a slick setup. He cut a piece of plate steel (1/4 or 3/16" ish thick) the same size as his motor mount. Welded 4" or 5" long piece of 1"ish diameter pipe onto said plate, effectively creating a headset for the front bicycle forks. Drilled the plate, and drilled and tapped the motor mount. Worked awesome, just pull the forks out, stash in the bush and go fishing.

Tman,

Most boats now have motor mounts where you can bolt a tube that will accept the top end of a forks for a bike. A pin of some type holds the bike fork in place.

My tube is made of UMHW ( a high moly plastic) 2" OD that allows the 1" tube to be installed into the 1" hole bored through the UMHW. I use 2 pins. The UMHW is bolted to the motor mount with 2" U bols.

Length of the tube or diameter of the bike wheel is important for clearance of the pontoons above the ground. I put my pontoon onto a couple of 6" wood blocks for clearance and grabbed the for pegs lifting them to where I would hold them to push the boat. Then you an set the length of tube and whell OD. I wouln't go less than 12" OD tire. Makes rolling the boat over rocks and roots a lot easier.

The total cost of mine was $20.00 and that included a new tire for the bike.

Catch ya'

Don