Fly Fusion Forums

Sickening Feeling

So as I am thinking about doing some fishing this weekend I go looking for one of my fishing bags. inside this bag was a couple reels (including my spare islander IR2, and a couple of reels for 6wt's) and about 1000 flies, lines leaders tippet splits etc. plus this bag had ALL my steelhead flies and gear and lines (spey tips etc). well I come to find that when the wife and kids emptied out a shed after the hail the THREW IT OUT. THE WHOLE BAG!!!

So I need some advice.

How do I react? I am so choked I cant even talk to my wife right now... but if I get upset she'd never understand the value of it anyways.

Anyways, I just thought I would vent somewhere.... and I know y'all would KNOW the pain of this loss...

I think I am going to go fishing with what's left (at least I have another bag with a bunch of stream / river fishing gear)

:$*%&: :$*%&: :$*%&:

So as I am thinking about doing some fishing this weekend I go looking for one of my fishing bags. inside this bag was a couple reels (including my spare islander IR2, and a couple of reels for 6wt's) and about 1000 flies, lines leaders tippet splits etc. plus this bag had ALL my steelhead flies and gear and lines (spey tips etc). well I come to find that when the wife and kids emptied out a shed after the hail the THREW IT OUT. THE WHOLE BAG!!!

So I need some advice.

How do I react? I am so choked I cant even talk to my wife right now... but if I get upset she'd never understand the value of it anyways.

Anyways, I just thought I would vent somewhere.... and I know y'all would KNOW the pain of this loss...

I think I am going to go fishing with what's left (at least I have another bag with a bunch of stream / river fishing gear)

:$*%&: :$*%&: :$*%&:

I think I'm going to be sick for you. Thats going to be a while to get over that one.

Sorry Brian. When you calm down I probably have a Islander trout series plus spool I'll bargain on with you.

Dave

make an insurance claim and get all brand new stuff?

Um, I don't think they cover stuff that you throw out in the garbage. I couldn't live with myself to try and BS my way through it, it's not who I am.

Dave, yeah I might be interested in that spool but I now have no islanders left (reels) as I lost my other one ono the bank of the Bow last year. Still hoping to see that one someday but it's been over a year now :(

Um, I don't think they cover stuff that you throw out in the garbage. I couldn't live with myself to try and BS my way through it, it's not who I am.

Dave, yeah I might be interested in that spool but I now have no islanders left (reels) as I lost my other one ono the bank of the Bow last year. Still hoping to see that one someday but it's been over a year now :(

Never a good feeling losing fly gear or having it stolen.

I got cleaned out one fine day back mid nineties on the Crow by some shitty person.

Anyhow not trying to prey on your misfortune but the islander is a reel plus a spool. I'll help you out as best I can on that one.

Dave

Brian

i don't mind at all , hate to see anyone down on luck and you'v had some bad luck the last couple weeks

i'll lend you a good rod / bunch of flies and a good reel to get you fishing again till the summer is over , lord knows i'v got enough extra shiz laying around to outfit a group of guys

That is very tough luck. However, there are two good things. You still have a wife and kids (that clean things up), and you now need to go shopping for extra gear. Stuff can always be replaced. People, not so much.

A few years ago my wife and son threw out a bunch of sport collectible stuff, same thing we were doing a basement reno and it was taken to the Calgary dump, no luck finding it there. You could get lucky and find it at the transfer site still. Anyway as has been said you can replace things but not people and we can't pick our family, we just get them the way they are. I just sucked it up and let it go, though it still bugs me on occasion.

Some policies cover for misplace, lost, and maybe even thrown out. I would check with the insurance provider. You might even have a one free claim. I know my insurance has this provision.

M

Really Sorry to hear Man... I can sort of imagine how ya feel (minus the fam. part) .... I have been ripped off twice, on good amounts of fly gear.... That feelin you get in your gut is brutal!!!

Sure Hope ya get lucky and Find it....

Also, get over the personal issue on making a claim. Insurance is a scheme where we contracturally pool our risks and if it is covered by that contract there is no moral issue whatsoever. Don't forget all the premiums they have happily accepted from you.

Also, get over the personal issue on making a claim. Insurance is a scheme where we contracturally pool our risks and if it is covered by that contract there is no moral issue whatsoever. Don't forget all the premiums they have happily accepted from you.

Operative phrase being "if it is covered by that contract". If its covered, and you're insured for loss under those circumstances, then you should follow Ginger's advice and make a claim without a second thought. But you were also right, Brian for exercising caution and adhering to ethics, because if you aren't covered, well that's a 5-letter f-word we won't get into. :)

As for your wife, all I can say is, she bore your children right? :) I know, I know, probably hard to reconcile that right now...

I feel your pain, man.

Smitty

Actually Hawgstopper - my insurance just gleefully replaced a ridiculously expensive bike I demolished with a garage and a roof rack, and I was candid with the details. Your insurance just might cover this for you. At the very least, it would be worth talking to your agent.

here's the drill: you contact the insurer giving a meticulous account of how the loss occured. Of course you have to carefully tell the truth,I didn't think that needed mentioning. If the insurer thinks there is a coverage issue they will certainly let you know. Don't necessarily rely on their opinion. There is no ethical issue and there is no reason not to make a claim- how could your wife's mistake of throwing out the bag be any different than backing over it with the car. The risk of suffering loss through negligence is why we buy insurance. Standing by for PM if you want.

talking to insurance about it. I gave them an account of what was in the bag. approx value.

we'll see. I will definately have to look through my policy.

as far as the family / wife. I did go outside, went fishing even, to vent, and also wrote this short message on the computer. I never spoke a bad word to her, and in most cases I am sure I would have acted like a complete a$$hat, so I am thankful I was able to hold my tongue (and emotions) in check.

Thanks for all the PM's about lending gear out. Sadly most of this gear was my steelheading collection (tippet, lines, spey tips, couple hundred to 500 steelhead flies at $5 or more per fly), and then my spare reels - an islander IR2 reel and lines, an okuma 7/8wt reel and a reddington 5/6 reel. I'm hoping insurance will cover it.

that sucks Brian

In july, I had the unfortunate incident where a friend of mine dumped two full cases of my flies into the river never to be found. All my small dry flies and my entire nymph collection. about 1800 flies in total.

I have been fishing a lot of big foam bugs lately.....my only box left.