Fly Fusion Forums

Polarized Sunglasses Lens Colour

Pentax digital lenses if you can afford them, damn local optometrist wants $375 a lens for progressives, otherwise any good digital lens. I prefer a bronze color lens, really helps in flat light.

I prefer a bronze color lens, really helps in flat light.

I have 2 pairs: a grey and a persimmon (or bronze)

Overall, I prefer the persimmon, but the grey are nicer on really bright days. If could only take one pair with me, I would take the persimmon.

<----- Biophotonics nerd

I did my grad studies in biophotonics

This site is really cool.

http://ca.oakley.com/innovation/optical-su...rity/lens-tints

It gives you a good idea of what the lenses do. The reason why people like the bronze colours is because they produce a contrast, allowing a greater transmission of greenish wavelengths through the lens. Our eyes are sensitive to these wavelengths. This is why they work better in flat light. There will be a point in brightness (at both the high and low intensities) where the contrast will no longer be significantly noticeable. If was going to spend the day cycling or in the middle of a lake, I would grab my greys. I find them more comfortable to wear for long periods of time because they block the light in a neutral way.

But for fishing, the persimmons/bronze render more visual acuity. I rely on my hat to generate the additional shade to keep the sunglasses comfortable for an entire afternoon/evening.

Check out the Oakley site though. it is really cool. They take the bright picture and apply the lens transmission profile to the spectrum output on the picture.

EDIT: you can slide the bar between the picture on the Oakley site.

I just bought a pair of chief's by Smith. They come with polarcromatic lenses (aka- polarized lenses that change shade depending on the light conditions). I took them pike fishing on Saturday and I was amazed how clear I could see almost every strike! I brought along my polarized Oakley's for comparison. It wasn't even a contest. I will be wearing smiths in the future! Especially since they were only $115 off eBay.

One thing to consider is what you are trying to accomplish with the lens. Are you spotting? If so, using a tinted color will detract from your experience. Male brown trout heads are green, the sides of browns can be yellow, the pec fins glow yellow-green; rainbows backs glow green; male goldens glow red; brookies and bulls have distinct fin markings... etc. Color in trout spotting can be severely diminished by using tinted glass. And that's just fish - there are many other facets in spotting that coloration is very important.

The amount of light filtered is a strong consideration as well.

Me? Maui Jim HT lenses. Not to say anyone else is wrong - they work wonders for me and have received RAVE reviews from everyone I've let try them in tough conditions in NZ.

Hope that helps someone.

Happy fishing.

One thing to consider is what you are trying to accomplish with the lens. Are you spotting? If so, using a tinted color will detract from your experience. Male brown trout heads are green, the sides of browns can be yellow, the pec fins glow yellow-green; rainbows backs glow green; male goldens glow red; brookies and bulls have distinct fin markings... etc. Color in trout spotting can be severely diminished by using tinted glass. And that's just fish - there are many other facets in spotting that coloration is very important.

The amount of light filtered is a strong consideration as well.

Me? Maui Jim HT lenses. Not to say anyone else is wrong - they work wonders for me and have received RAVE reviews from everyone I've let try them in tough conditions in NZ.

Hope that helps someone.

Happy fishing.

Dave good info there, are the MJs glass or poly-carbonate (sp?)?