Fly Fusion Forums

Hot Tubs

Hot Spring brand are the best! But are VERY expensive. They were the 1st ones that were fully insulated and have the lowest operating cost bar none (despite what other manufactures say - actual numbers from Enmax as opposed to the numbers the manufacture puts out - you can call Enmax for a general idea of cost)! Think of a "Yeti" Cooler vs. Coleman (both are insulated [and work], but one is WAY more efficient then the others)!! Unfortuantely, the local dealer who happens to be the provinical distributor (I have a less then positive opinion of..., but that's my opinion.) so you can't buy them everywhere with out supporting him. Despite that, if I were to ever purchase one (more of a PITA then anything, in my opinion) I would buy a Hot Spring.

Choose one for a few people less then your family as you most likely won't have everyone in at once or they won't stay in for the same amount of time (4 - 5 person tub would be the size for an average family). Also, be careful not to get sucked in with purchasing one with disco lights and a stereo or TV... You won't stay in one long enough to enjoy a TV (not healthy) and the lights and stereo will take away from the quality time spent with your family, and p i s s off your neighors (plus they are a waste of $ and are of REALLY low quality - you can buy a boom box that will be of far better quality)!!

Things to take into consideration, no matter what manufacture you chose...

They are more expensive to operate then you would think (power,chemicals, etc.), more so because of our hard water in town (can be a challenge to balance the water) and dramatically more if you are on well water (as you most likely will have to truck your water in). Most people don't take care of their water like they should - will have a dramatic effect on longevity of components, etc. Heating coils don't last long with our water. Heat Exchanger is far superior (Hot spring). UV systems are good for a little while, but as they get old the don't put out as many UV rays to clean the water so not the best (technology may have improved, though). Bromine a little less harsh then chlorine. But either way, make sure you know what you are doing to balance your water (don't rely on the shop to tell you what you should do)... Tabs are tabs are tabs, no matter what the shop tells you (they just want you to buy their brand). Fillers, binders, it's all B S!! Designer brand tabs, Costco tabs, or Canadian Tire tabs are all pretty much the same (maybe slight difference in the time it takes them to disspate)!! Salt systems are great (only know them from a pool perspective) and can be cost effective (only need to top up the salt when replace/add water), but not sure what they are like in a hot tub application...

You will have to hire an electrician to intall the sub panal, by code (adds to the over all purchase cost). And get them to include delivery, set up and a cover (covers can run up to $500 and only last 3 - 5 years max) and cover lift.

Number of jets are not the biggest consideration! Placement of the jets are!! Not everyone will want the jets blasting as hard as possible so be mindful of "how many" jets a tub has, more doesn't = better!!

Please talk to people that own one (if you haven't already) as when the novelty wears off, you are paying to heat a tub of hot water 24/7/365!! An annual family pass to the community rec centre is a lot cheaper every year!

If you do in fact use it regulary, they can be very therapeutic. But check with your Dr. if you have high BP, a heart condition, glaucoma, etc.

Make sure you have dedicated suits to wear in the hot tub (don't wash them with laundry soap - just hang to dry), - if you choose to wear suits. Laundry soap is NOT good for Hot tubs (throws the water out of balance quite easily and bubbles that you can't get rid of, suck in a hot tub)!

And finally try before you buy! Make sure you have a chance to get your entire family together (even some friends) and go to a shop that will allow you to try it out (can't do that at Costco or Home depot!!) What they look like on the floor or up against a wall won't cut it until you actually sit in it (full of water) with your family and see if it fits "you" and your needs!!

I hope you find this helpful.

P

Marquis Spas also has full insulation. The only downside to full insulation is if you get a leak its going to be difficult to find and repair. Ive had one for 10 years and the only thing we had to replace was the heating coil, which was 100 bucks. Ours gets used almost daily in the winter and is still pumping. Im not sure who sells them in calgary anymore though.

Guest Wrecker

We have a Sundance spa, fully insulated as well.

Independent testing shows Sundance one of the top when it comes to efficiency.

Have an Arctic Spa. Its been running perfect for 4 years now. I won't bother with the fully insulated and efficient comment because they are all claming that. It is cheap to run for sure and easy to maintain. Gets used 2-3 times per week in winter and once per week in summer, on average. We live on a farm and the tub is out "next to nature". Great place to watch birds from. Not sure if your in town or not. Good luck!