Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Lamp

stoby1

Buy an Ott lamp and be done with it. Might be stretching the $50, but Michaels takes 40% off once in a while.

Otts are pretty good...and occasionally, Michaels even has a full 50% off a single item.

I use Reveal bulbs in my reading lamp, bright soft light.

Greg

I use those in all my table lamps, and in my dining-room light (particularly since the dining table doubles as my tying bench right now)....best damned spectrum.

If you decide not to get an Ott lamp, at least outfit with a full spectrum bulb. I use Reveal bulbs in my reading lamp, bright soft light.

Greg

Good point. I used to use a swing arm overhead fluorescent lamp (the kind they used to use on drafting tables when drawings were actually done on paper). The lamp used 18" fluorescent tubes and full spectrum versions are available -- not cheap, but worth the money IMHO. Anyway, I don't have the swing room for the old lamp, so I now use one of the fold-down Ott lamps, and am quite happy with it. The only disadvantage of the Ott compared to my old system, is that it takes up desk top space, and can obscure your view. Terry

The only disadvantage of the Ott compared to my old system, is that it takes up desk top space, and can obscure your view. Terry

On the model I have, the 'neck' is just bolted to the base from the underside. Pulled the bolt out and knocked a hole through the table (dedicated tying table), effectively turning the table top into the base. Very small footprint -2"sq.

Disclaimer - You should be fine drilling holes through the dining room table, but maybe just check with the wife.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guy's , I'm in the market as well ! Been mulling over which lights to get , haven't found much with nice lighting .... IKEA has a few styles with nice swing arms . yet bulbs aren't bright enough . Will definitely go check out those Ott lights tomorrow after class ... On sale this week is great ! Thanks for the headsup Jordo!

• 4 weeks later...

I vote for Ott lights as well. I have had a couple for years now (one bought at a hefty price from Micheal's when they were still rare) and two from Costco. They work great for true colour lighting and I use them for painting also. You can also get GE true spectrum bulbs but I find them not quite as good as the Otts and being bulbs they throw off more heat than the Otts do too.