Fly Fusion Forums

Best Time Of Day

hybridfive

Hey guys got into fishing mid last season and since this is my first early season I just had a quick question. I clearly had more luck towards the dusk late last season obviously there are more rises but What time of day do you find you have the most luck this time of year?

If you go back a couple of pages on the Bow conditions posting and read them, you can see when the people posting there are having luck. Hatching is usually in the afternoon this time of year and I have noticed the most rising fish mid to late afternoon. My best fishing so far this year has been nymphing late morning and afternoon, but thats because that is when I have been getting to the water.

Greg

Thanks Greg, Ive been catching up on the report, thanks for the tip. Finally broke my dry winter spell and hooked into my first of the season day or two ago. A decent sized Whitefish :S ahh well still good to feel that pull. Was around dinner time, seems fish cooperate with a 9-5 job ;)

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

once the heat of summer is on (the few 30+ days) i like the hang it up during that day and fish evenings, early morning, and the dead of night.

but right now its always fish O'clock

• 3 months later...

Generally speaking, Trout have a lot in common with the anglers pursuing them. It's the Goldilocks paradigm, both anglers and people like it when it's not too hot and not too cold. Unlike us, trout cannot move indoors, and are cold blooded, so they adjust their behaviors according to the temperature. On cold or cooler days in the spring or fall fish feed more heavily once the water warms sufficiently. In the middle of summer they pick it up at cooler times of day or night and on overcast days when the temperature is lower and become very lethargic during the heat of the day. In the winter, choose the warmest part of the day, or rather an hour or two after the peak air temp is reached as water temperature takes longer to rise (or fall).

I once experienced a tremendous hatch on the Bow in early September in the middle of a sudden heavy snowfall. It had been beautiful and hot for several days and when the storm hit I was ill prepared and lightly dressed. My hands where so cold I could barely hold my rod; however, as the water in the river dropped into a more favorable temperature range, the insects began to hatch and the water began to boil with rising fish. Keep in mind that on some occasions the experience of the Goldilocks “just right” air temperature may be quite different than that experienced by trout in the water.

I suppose you could use a thermometer so you could relate stream temperatures to preferred range of the species you are after. I go fishing when I have the time.

• Like 1