Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Cars?

Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear L400 - look that up. Import 4x4 turbo diesel van. About 27mpg. We have one here & another in NZ. Great vehicles. Tons of room. Great availability of parts coming in from the coast, though in 2 years no mech issues.

For longer drives we have a VW Jetta Wagon. 50+mpg and you can haul everything you need in the back or tow.

:)

Hi Dave,

How do you find the Delica for passing on the highway and heading up hills? I'm not expecting a sports car, I just don't want to be chugging up the hills at 70km/h when we head to BC to visit family. Thanks!

The L400 and L300 are completely different beasts. And the L300 is the beast. The L400 pulls extremely well on hills. When I drove the Coquihalla it maintained 110kmh, but that was peak with AJ & I and a bit of luggage. The L300 is the one that not only barely pulls 70kmh, but it does it with chugging diesel effect. :) The L400 handles very well. The passing power is actually, surprisingly quite good. For what we do, $10 - 12 K for a used 4x4 diesel van, it's a great vehicle. There's a Delica Canada forum for anyone wanting to check it out more - and lots of positive members that can put you in the right direction when buying or looking for parts if/when that pops up as all vehicles tend to. :)

As per driving RHD, the only issue I have is at an intersection where I am turning left. I simpy wait for good sight lines if there is a truck turning left in the opposite direction. One single lane hwys, sight lines are seldom an issue as the buffer to pass gives quite good sight lines. It's a minor adjustment.

A queen mattress fits in there too, and we camperized the NZ machine easily. But, it has to make sense for what you want it to do.

The L400 and L300 are completely different beasts. And the L300 is the beast. The L400 pulls extremely well on hills. When I drove the Coquihalla it maintained 110kmh, but that was peak with AJ & I and a bit of luggage. The L300 is the one that not only barely pulls 70kmh, but it does it with chugging diesel effect. :) The L400 handles very well. The passing power is actually, surprisingly quite good. For what we do, $10 - 12 K for a used 4x4 diesel van, it's a great vehicle. There's a Delica Canada forum for anyone wanting to check it out more - and lots of positive members that can put you in the right direction when buying or looking for parts if/when that pops up as all vehicles tend to. :)

As per driving RHD, the only issue I have is at an intersection where I am turning left. I simpy wait for good sight lines if there is a truck turning left in the opposite direction. One single lane hwys, sight lines are seldom an issue as the buffer to pass gives quite good sight lines. It's a minor adjustment.

A queen mattress fits in there too, and we camperized the NZ machine easily. But, it has to make sense for what you want it to do.

You forgot the best part about the grill looking like it's smiling Dave...

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

there is a JDM van made off the Sienne platform like the delica. Its another great fishing runner and with most good lakes/rivers have good roads around i dont really find a need for a bad ass lifted F series ball hanger of a truck. Sure champion on a rainy weekend is hard but not impossible for a front wheel to get to.

i assume up past edmonton where civilization drops off lol it gets a bit worse in the back country.